Runner’s World Half & Festival And New Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter

Not a cloud in the sky over the weekend.

beach

Or an open spot in the sand on the beach to be found.

Morning people sometimes wake up tired, did you know that? It doesn’t happen often to me but Saturday was one of those days.

The box of Benedryl claims that each dose will last four hours but I remain convinced that the drowsy effects will linger. My food allergy reaction is definitely better but I was still taking Benedryl at night to minimize the leftover itchy feeling.

Despite being tired Saturday morning when I woke up, I still set out for my run.

I wasn’t quite sure how long the run would be but I knew the minimum was ten miles and based upon my mood, maybe I would go to thirteen or fourteen.

I never run more than that. My weekly mileage has increased to average forty miles mainly because my routine daily runs have been increasing steadily but my long runs? They remain pretty consistent.

Maybe one day I will bump them up but for now, my mind and body function real well with the amount of miles I run and I really don’t want to mess with that, especially since I am really satisfied with my routine.

My first mile was at a 9:30 min/mile pace which is on the slow side for me and at the same time, I was shocked since I thought I was going even slower.

I was awake at this point, awake enough to see someone running on my path about a quarter-mile in front of me.

If you pay attention, you know I have a running path inside of my community which I really only share with dog walkers and on rare occasion, other people who randomly decide to run.

running path

Obviously we don’t know for sure if he was actually ahead of me since we don’t know when or where he started in the loop but I always feel the need to kick it into high gear and pass whoever else I encounter.

It always makes me smile as if I have some Inspector Gadget type of ability to whip out my speed gadget whenever I need it.

Here I was, tired and feeling slow yet when called upon, I can get my pace under 8:00 min/mile and really, if you want to know the truth, it didn’t even feel hard.

In that moment I realized that as satisfied as I am with my running routine, lately I find I am running way too comfortable.

Even though I think it mainly to do with the heat and humidity, the more runs I run at a slower pace, the more I adjust to running slower.

I need to pay more attention to what I am doing out there and push it a bit more often to the point where my “comfortable” runs are in a faster comfortable zone because I am more than capable of running a bit faster on average without it really being too challenging.

After I had this realization about bumping up my comfortable pace, the rest of the run hovered in the 8’s without much added effort.

adidas energy boost

I felt great but decided to cap Saturday’s run at ten miles and run another ten Sunday morning for back-to-back ten-mile runs.

I figured it would be good training for the Runner’s World Half Marathon and Festival coming up in October.

rwhalf

You didn’t miss anything; I just decided Friday afternoon that I wanted to attend this weekend long event full of races.

There are multiple race options; a 5K and 10K on October 18th and a half marathon on October 19th.

I decided to go for the Hat Trick which consists of completing all three races.

I never thought I would run three races in a weekend but once again, I am acknowledging what I am capable of and I am more than capable of running all three distances in one weekend.

I can’t race them all, but I sure can run them all.

Anyway, aside from running a lot (yesterday’s ten-mile run was fabulous actually!) I never got around to restocking my pantry with The Mighty Maple peanut butter.

I did find this though:

peanut butter with flax and chia

Do you remember when Trader Joe’s sold a flax peanut butter like this a few years ago before it was recalled? I guess they brought it back with chia seeds now thrown into the mix.

I also have a new K-Cup coffee flavor in my rotation.

krispy kreme coffee

Doesn’t taste like a donut but the box looking like donuts does the marketing trick for my mind to believe it is somehow a donut in a cup.

Either way it tastes real nice.

Last night’s pizza tasted real nice too.

pizza

I just didn’t feel like cooking so two of these slices did the trick.

I will cook tonight, I swear it.

************************

Do you ever find you run too comfortable?

How often to do bump up your long run distance?

Who else is attending the Runner’s World Half & Festival?

Best thing you ate all weekend?

• Eva August 11, 2014, 6:28 am

Lovely website!!
    Eva recently posted…Finding the perfect holiday spot – The Isles of ScillyMy Profile

• Susie @ SuzLyfe August 11, 2014, 6:50 am

I definitely have been running too comfortably for too long. But I think a lot of that comes from needing the confidence in my body to feel like I can push it, and especially now that I am 8 weeks away from TCM, not wanting to get hurt. That said, I need to push it some, or else I am not doing myself any favors! I would love to attend the RW Festival, but it is $$ and 2 weeks after my full marathon, so for the sake of not destroying my body (or my wallet) I will likely sit it out. LE SIGH
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Run, Sleep, Eat, Repeat #MIMMMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 11, 2014, 8:52 am

I hear you on not wanting to push it in fear of injury. I do think I run in a comfort zone more often than not because it keeps me healthy.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld August 11, 2014, 6:51 am

No way…..as if they have krispy kreme in K cups!!! That pizza looks bloody loaded. Send some my way!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Weekend brunch seriesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 11, 2014, 8:51 am

When you come to NY, in addition to Red Mango, I will introduce you to the best pizza places around.

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables August 11, 2014, 7:24 am

Ohhh I must try that peanut butter! I swear, Trader Joe’s has the best crunchy peanut butter around!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 11, 2014, 8:50 am

Ohhh, there peanut butter is good but not better than Peanut Butter & Co. Try Crunch Time if you haven’t already.

• Tina Muir August 11, 2014, 7:27 am

Wait! Not a cloud in the sky…..but does that sky say “money” on it?! or am I seeing things?!?!?

As for runs too comfortable, my body doesn’t really have a chance for that right now in the marathon training haha, but I definitely make sure it gets enough easy on the easy days….which today is NOT one of….I have 18 mile progression, and I am a little nervous. I did have oatmeal for breakfast though, so thought of you 😛

That pizza looks yummy, I love loaded veggie pizzas!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: Super Super Sweet PotatoesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 11, 2014, 8:50 am

And I thought of you when I decided to wear my Saucony Kinvaras this morning to give my Adidas a break lol. Good luck on today’s run. You may be nervous but I have no doubt in your ability to get through that run.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 11, 2014, 7:34 am

I love your running confidence. Three races in one weekend… pffft… I got this 😉 We’re getting to that point in the year when the weather is perfect outside and I start getting the itch to start running. Happens every year and then dies when the snow falls and snowboarding takes over my life… so while I can’t say that I ever get -too- comfortable with running, I definitely find it easy to settle in that comfort zone with other fitness-related things
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 8/10 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 11, 2014, 8:48 am

I think you should start running again. At least until snowboarding season.

• Sarah @pickyrunner August 11, 2014, 9:27 am

YESSSSS so excited to meet you in a few months!!! The Hat Trick is the way to go 🙂
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Baltimore TouristsMy Profile

• Hayley@healthyregards August 11, 2014, 9:31 am

I rarely run comfortable enough! The runners world festival sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck with your training!
    Hayley@healthyregards recently posted…7 Days and 21 BlessingsMy Profile

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven August 11, 2014, 9:52 am

Gonna pick up some of that peanut butter when I’m in Boston next weekend!!!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Summer LatelyMy Profile

• Lish August 11, 2014, 11:04 am

That’s crazy that TJ’s is making that PB – I have been mixing flax and chia into my pb for years to make my own. I wonder if it’ll be cheaper for me to buy it this way. haha

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 11, 2014, 5:23 pm

This jar was only $2.99. I bet it is actually cheaper than mixing your own since flax and chia are pretty pricey.

• Carmy August 11, 2014, 11:49 am

haha I always have the urge to pass because I don’t want to seem like a creeper following them!!! What is ON that slice of pizza?! It looks … healthy! LOL (compared to my slices where it’s mainly just a pound of bacon and cheese)
    Carmy recently posted…Reasons Not To Date A Runner.My Profile

• Ginette @ Half To Be Happy August 11, 2014, 6:15 pm

I recently discovered Trader Joe’s. I know, I was seriously missing out… Can’t wait to go back to find me some of that PB!
    Ginette @ Half To Be Happy recently posted…Shark week ~~~^~~~\o/My Profile