Still The Same Yet Different

My brain goes to interesting places while I am running, yesterday’s nine mile run is no exception.

Based upon this post, it shouldn’t be any wonder why I don’t say hello to others as I pass them…I am clearly in another world trying to solve all of life’s mysteries for us.

Thinking-Out-Loud

Have you ever taken a trip back to a school you once attended only to think it looked much smaller than you remembered?

The building isn’t so big, the hallways aren’t so long, the desks are really tiny and how the heck did you ever fit your tush in the chair?

Did you have a favorite packaged snack growing up such as Entenmann’s cookies, Hostess Cupcakes or a specific Drakes Cake like Ring Dings or Yodels and think it was the yummiest dessert on the planet only to taste it years later and discover it to be a poor excuse for chocolate and a complete waste of calories?

hostess cupcakes

Was it never as good as you thought? Did the company alter their recipe?

Or, did your palate get all fancy and learn to expect true quality chocolate, fresh from scratch goodies with real ingredients versus artificial flavors, colors and preservatives?

Have you ever suffered a running injury to the point where you needed to take up another form of exercise in order to rest and heal your injury only to find you love that activity possibly more than running? For the record this has never happened to me but I have heard of it happening so just go with it.

Or, maybe you still love running but have come to realize that you could also love Spin just as much or in another way?

And when it comes to love, what about those relationships in your life that you thought were forever yet suddenly out of nowhere come to end leaving you convinced that you will never recover, move on or fully get over it.

In fact, you assume that should the opportunity present itself to you again, you will welcome the day with open arms no matter how many years later it may be.

But something interesting happens over time.

You grow and get stronger from the experience and from living life, become more resilient than you ever could have imagined yet remain clueless to this change in you and to how over something you really are until it does come back to you.

And then, you suddenly find yourself seeing that former situation like you view a package of Ring Dings.

ring dings

You once thought those cute little Ring Dings were really good but eh, they really weren’t best dessert out there.

It’s like your elementary school from childhood.

Still the same yet different. Only it isn’t different, it’s you that is different.

You outgrew it.

*********************

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

Favorite snack cake as a kid?

Have you had any of those packaged desserts recently? Does it still taste so good to you?

Favorite cross-training workout?

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 7, 2014, 6:37 am

True story: I’ve never actually eaten a Twinkie, Ring Ding, or Hostess cupcake… but I do know what you mean about looking back at an old school and everything seeming so much smaller. Heck, I even look at kids in junior high or high school and they seem so -young-… whereas I remember feeling so old and badass at that age. Funny how things change over time…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #90 .My Profile

• Susie @ SuzLyfe August 7, 2014, 6:55 am

I was obsessed with Snackwells as a kid, but I have a feeling I wouldn’t like them at all nowadays.
    Yoga. And spin. And running became a sub for riding when I couldn’t ride. And now running etc is my riding, and I’ve found that I don’t need the horses like I used to. One day, I am sure, that will change.
    However, if someone brought me some dunkaroos or chewy chips ahoy I have no doubt I would go to TOWN on those things.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Currently Thinking (Out Loud)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 7, 2014, 8:42 am

Dunkaroos are for some reason making me think of E.L. Fudge cookies which I loved! I wonder if I would still love them. Ohh and chewy chips ahoy were nice too. Remember Soft Batch? Those were special.

• Sarah @pickyrunner August 7, 2014, 7:34 am

Ugh my mom wouldn’t let me eat ANY kind of junk food growing up. So no ding dongs or dunkaroos and ring dings or any of those little snack cakes. It was very depressing. I’m pretty sure when I finally did have them I wasn’t even that impressed because they just weren’t as good as what I had imagined. I had a troubled childhood apparently.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…TOL: New Job New LifeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 7, 2014, 8:41 am

Don’t feel bad because I am convinced all of those snack cakes are only good to young taste buds. The last time I had one of the snack cakes I used to love, I just didn’t understand what went wrong. Just not as good as I thought, as it used to be or anywhere close to a slice of cake from a true bakery (or Cheesecake Factory).

• Eva August 7, 2014, 8:34 am

I never liked junkfood, but I’m a BIG cookie-fan. Although I know it’s not healthy, I just can’t stop eating them. Love your website btw! 😉
    Eva recently posted…Get the look: Black and white with a touch of goldMy Profile

• frank August 7, 2014, 12:48 pm

Greetings from Germany; just back from what might have been the most running, time and distance, I have ever done in a single day; a beautiful day long the Rhine river.

Funny Bones wee my favorite. I typically buy them about once a year, I try to eat the chocolate off the top and sides before eating the cake/filling part. I still like them. There’s something about that “peanut butter” filling.

When I cross-train, it’s the rowing machine. Very efficient and effective for both upper and lower body.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine August 7, 2014, 5:27 pm

I loved those little mini brownies in a bag when I was growing up! I probably wouldn’t like them at all now- give me a real, homemade brownie! I totally know what you mean about outgrowing things/places.
    I have never come to love another form of exercise as much as running but I have gained a huge appreciation for yoga over the past year!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…TOL #14: The Beach, Blogging, and RunningMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets August 11, 2014, 5:36 am

What a poignant post.
    The older I get, the more I find I’ve outgrown things, and sadly sometimes that means friendships. I’ve always got the memories though, and I’ll cherish those, bad desserts and all.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 11, 2014, 8:52 am

Agreed on the outgrowing of friendships. It happens even when don’t want to acknowledge it as the truth.