Run, Yoga and Chobani Oats

If you ask me why I run, my quick response would be, to eat chocolate cake.

run for cake

However, the real reason I run is to feel like myself.

I run to feel like me.

When the rest of your world is out of sync, when people are annoying you, when you suddenly without warning break out into a food allergy rash all over your body from calamari and are up day and night for the last week itching and scratching and crawling out of your skin, you run because that’s your place to feel normal and at peace within your own personal world.

Yes. That is correct. I suddenly have a shellfish allergy, most specifically, calamari.

While my son was breaking his thumb a few days ago, my body was experiencing a delayed allergic response to calamari and slowly began itching and rashing out of control.

Ever have a food allergy rash? It is not fun.

This food allergy rash reaction is taking its sweet time going away but thankfully I feel the tide slowly turning (thanks to the medicine and time passing) but being itchy and scratchy for days on end combined with not being able to sleep will leave you not feeling like yourself.

And of course, as my luck always has it, this food allergy hit me at the wrong time of the month, if you know what I mean, so everything is just that much worse.

I didn’t sleep much Friday night (thanks to the medicine insomnia side effects and lots of itching) but that wasn’t stopping me from my long run nor was I about to let the rain play a role in my Saturday morning tradition either.

I wasn’t tired. I wasn’t sick. I had a rash from food and moping around the house all about it was not going to make me or my hormones feel better.

Why else did I buy this Lulu jacket if I wasn’t going to actually wear it to run in the rain?

rainy run

Can you tell how soaked I am? Soaked but smiling which is all that mattered.

For twelve miles of time, all was right in my world again.

I wasn’t itchy at all and I even got lucky to discover two black jelly beans in my mid-run snack!

I love black jelly beans and those are usually few and far between.

If you ever run in the rain, you know that sometimes you don’t even realize how soaking wet you actually are.

I sort of figured out that it was a decent rain that I ran in when my sneakers were still pretty wet Sunday morning.

adidas energy boost

By the way, I returned the Adidas Adistar Boost and have been wearing my pink Energy Boosts until I find a good pair (good as in decent color) of the new Energy Boost 2.0.

Runner’s Edge only had the new model in white and while I normally don’t care what color my running shoes are , white on white is simply not acceptable for running outdoors.

I decided to wear my Saucony Kinvara yesterday for a short recovery run.

saucony kinvara

I find the Kinvara very comfortable for walking around and even decent for short runs but sometimes feel like I need more support than they actually offer.

They are super light though which allows you to move pretty quick.

After my recovery run, I did something beyond crazy.

yoga

Sunday morning yoga at Lulu Lemon? Who am I these days?

My friend suckered me into attending with her and since she was bringing me a pretty purple mat which matched my shirt and my nail polish, I couldn’t say no.

I am totally down with the whole mind-body connection concept at Pure Barre these days but an actual yoga class really isn’t my thing.

I do think it is cool though that Lulu Lemon offers a free class every Sunday before the store opens so that if I ever feel like downward dogging again, I know where I can do so.

In other news, has anyone come across the new containers of Chobani Oats?

chobani oats

While I would much prefer to make my own oatmeal with yogurt concoctions, this prepackaged combo would make for a great portable/travel/on-the-go emergency meal option.

Click here for the latest Hungry Girl Newsletter which mentions the new Chobani Oats.

And now I am hungry so it’s time for breakfast. Have a great week!

********************

Have you ever had a food allergy rash reaction? When will it go away for good?!

Do you love/hate black licorice jelly beans?

What is your mid-run snack of choice these days? At what mile do you usually eat it?

• Alexis @ Run Crush August 4, 2014, 6:14 am

Ughhhh major bummer about your food allergy. I’ve never had a reaction to food like that, but something similar happened to me after a bee sting. I just stood in a cold shower for hours every night. I hope yours goes away completely soon! And I totally agree that running is a place to feel like myself. Makes me feel whole! I’m thinking about trying Swedish Fish for a mid-run snack next weekend. I’ve been using GU, but then I was like, “Wait. If candy is an option, why am I not eating candy??”
    Alexis @ Run Crush recently posted…Weekly Workouts 7.28 – 8.2My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 4, 2014, 8:10 am

Totally agree on the candy – there is no point in my mind to eating the energy snacks and gels when true candy serves the same purpose. I stick with Trader Joe’s jelly beans!
      The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Run, Yoga and Chobani OatsMy Profile

• Susie @ SuzLyfe August 4, 2014, 6:59 am

The fact that tend to “discover” these allergies is so freaking obnoxious. I mean, seriously. My body likes to ache all over, your body likes to get rashy all over. That sucks! Sometimes you get hives after you have a virus, but not to the degree that you have them, I don’t think. I love jelly beans (as we all know) but I do not care for black licorice (even though I do love fennel), so I will willingly cede those to you in the future.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…So What Else is New Pt. 2 #MIMMMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 4, 2014, 8:12 am

I was always such a picky eater yet loved black jelly beans. Still do…And yeah, this rash allergy thing is awful. I went to the dr to confirm what it was from because I too wonder if somehow it could be viral but it wasn’t.
      The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Run, Yoga and Chobani OatsMy Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld August 4, 2014, 7:26 am

Merrrr, we had the same Friday night- I couldn’t sleep either and I HAD A DAMN RASH TOO. Not sure from what though- maybe the fanta I had on Friday night.

I actually really like black jelly beans….the perks of childhood- getting them all!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…No Bake S’mores Protein CookiesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 4, 2014, 2:02 pm

Love the black jelly beans! No one else ever did. Hope your rash is better.

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables August 4, 2014, 7:44 am

I am kind of curious about those chobani oats! I normally just like fruit in my yogurt (and maybe a little granola for crunch) but I bet it’s good!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 4, 2014, 8:13 am

My favorite meal is cooked oatmeal mixed with greek yogurt, fruit and peanut butter. I will definitely try the Chobani but I doubt it can be as good as what I make myself!
      The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Run, Yoga and Chobani OatsMy Profile

• Jaclyn @ BumpSweat August 4, 2014, 8:02 am

Developing the inability to eat a certain food really stinks. That happened to me with zucchini. I don’t have an allergic reaction, but my stomach HATES ME after eating it.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…{MIMM #5} When Will Baby Girl Arrive?My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 4, 2014, 2:02 pm

My stomach hates me after most vegetables, especially if I eat a bite too much.

• Tina Muir August 4, 2014, 8:08 am

I am in the same thoughts, even with how serious i take running, initially it would be so I can enjoy all my sweets, but underneath that, it is definitely for me, like you said, to be able to be yourself! Running in the rain can be fun in the summer, but if you do not put paper in your shoes…..oooooff the smell is bad! LOVE the Kinvaras!!!! Somehow I recognize them 😉
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: Summer Tofu Salad with Almond Butter DressingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 4, 2014, 8:14 am

I thought of you when I decided to run in them! I do like them, they just don’t have enough support for me to wear them on a regular basis. Something about the heels I think – they had changed their heel height for all of their lines over the last few years making them not suitable for my picky feet. But, I think I will wear them more often for short runs.
      The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Run, Yoga and Chobani OatsMy Profile

• Brynn August 4, 2014, 8:09 am

So sorry to hear about your food allergy and rough Friday night. But wow, way to kill it with your run and yoga! Sometimes I feel better when I can control something when my life feels so out of control. Working out is one of my favorites along with cleaning and organizing.
    Brynn recently posted…Anniversary Weekend RecapMy Profile

• Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom.com August 4, 2014, 8:18 am

I am so jealous of all your cute running and workout clothes! I could not imagine having a food allergy. I love everything, especially shell fish. Hopefully its just calamari and nothing else. I miss running so much.
    Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom.com recently posted…Stay at homeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 4, 2014, 1:52 pm

You will be back to running before you know it. Most important is to feel good while pregnant.

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven August 4, 2014, 8:30 am

I had a terrible reaction to oysters a few months ago! Turns out it was just a bad oyster and not an allergic reaction. Get tested! Will ease your mind 🙂
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Where To Stay, Go and Eat In Yellowstone National ParkMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 4, 2014, 1:50 pm

I have heard that happen with oysters, so awful…I probably will go in for a full allergy testing at some point soon although the doctor was pretty confident I have an allergy to the calamari. Not fun!

• Ginette @ Half To Be Happy August 4, 2014, 3:05 pm

Oh no allergic to calamari! As others wrote too, get tested just to be sure. I personally hate black licorice tasting ANYTHING… My favorites are berry/citrus flavored jellybeans.
    Ginette @ Half To Be Happy recently posted…My Doritos RunMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 5, 2014, 3:34 pm

Aside from the black jelly beans, I always loved the pink gourmet jelly beans that were cotton candy, tutti frutti and bubble gum. I haven’t had them in forever though and suddenly feel the need for some!

• Amy August 4, 2014, 8:00 pm

Hello Meredith,
    Oh! I’m so sorry you had a rash/outbreak to a shellfish allergy of calamari you ate. Man. Indeed, not fun. I’m glad it’s going away now, though.

Hmmm…I will have to purchase a couple containers of Chobani Oats to just try them out! Like you, I like to make my own oats and mix with toppings and add-ins. But, I agree with you…these Chobani Oats could be great for packing and when on-the-go.

Have a great evening!