Ben & Jerry’s and Putting Life In Perspective

I made my son an omelette with my signature recipe home fries for dinner the other night.

He told me that the omelette, which was pretty basic (he let me add plum tomatoes to it though!), was “the best omelette of his entire life.”

The home fries were pretty fab too, trust me. He loved them.

He is funny like that. When he loves something he eats, it’s the best of his life.

Sometimes I laugh and then sometimes, I find myself saying the same words after eating and realize exactly where he gets it from.

ben and jerrys sundae

See this Ben & Jerry’s sundae from last night? Best Sundae OF MY LIFE!

Seriously. I mean it.

I don’t think I can go to Cold Stone anymore. I can’t stop thinking about this cup of Ben & Jerry’s Banana and Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt loaded with hot fudge and whipped cream.

It’s so simple that it is almost cruel to have been so amazing that I will now have to drive a bit out of my way, possibly again today, to have this combination.

I don’t know if it was the peanut butter chunks or the ridiculous fresh and real hot fudge (I am convinced now that Cold Stone’s version of hot fudge is an imposter in the fudge department) or the combination of the two.

Nothing tasted like banana but it sure tasted like a cup of heaven that when it was finished, I felt the need to lick the bowl as we walked through the town of Huntington, not really caring who looked at me.

I know I can buy a container of Ben & Jerry’s in the grocery store and get this flavor but it’s not the same so please don’t tell me to do it.

I almost ordered molten chocolate cake at dinner, which was at Porto Vivo for my local readers, but I knew better.

I knew I wanted to walk down the block to Ben & Jerry’s instead. I never make a poor dessert decision.

porto-vivo

I didn’t get any photos of dinner but I did take a picture of the menu which comes to your table via iPad.

I still can’t adjust to such a thing but I guess it’s easier for restaurants to update their specials and menus this way.

Highly recommend Porto Vivo and suggest you order the calamari in the sweet chili sauce as an appetizer.

Can I tell you something on the serious side? Like take me serious for a minute, okay?

Please don’t skip dessert if you really want to have some. Or the bread basket if it’s really tasty and sort of like focaccia bread. Or the glass of wine that you really want but are afraid it will sabotage your diet and your waist line.

There’s just no point to your fitness routine or clean eating ways if you can’t go out and enjoy yourself.

And really, always counting calories, stressing over denying your cravings and worrying that you won’t maintain a certain size in pants is just so frivolous compared to what’s really going on the world.

Do you watch the news? Do you pay attention to what goes on outside of your little bubble?

Even if you do watch the news and follow worldly events, I don’t feel that any of us, at least here in the states, can fully relate, comprehend or appreciate the life we live.

I am so tired of my friends and society getting upset and worked up over what is really nothing.

This includes myself for dropping my waffle bowl the other day on National Ice Cream Day which really doesn’t matter now that Ben & Jerry’s is the new love of my life.

At least we aren’t listening to missiles overhead or speaking about safe rooms.

I want to leave you today with an email from my cousin in Israel. Just to put life in perspective for us….

Meredith,

All is good here. We actually had a siren last night, but it was the first one in over a week.

I don’t think they actually are targeting us here in Modi’in, rather their rockets are not very accurate and we’re not too far from the airport. Another cousin of ours lives in Rishon Lezion, and they’ve had several per day this whole time.

He’s only 15 minutes from me, but he’s closer to Gaza and Rishon is a bigger city.

Thankfully we have the Iron Dome and it works amazingly well. We can sometimes hear the explosion in mid-air when a rocket is destroyed by an interceptor missile.

Besides the occasional running to a safe room, things pretty much go on as normal. Kids go to camp, adults go to work, etc. the weather is actually really nice, not as hot as normal for July.

Have a great weekend.

******************

Favorite Ben & Jerry’s flavor?

Do you like your home fries well done and crispy like I do?

What’s on your weekend running agenda?

• toni July 25, 2014, 6:29 am

I’m such a dessert girl and Ben and Jerry’s is the best! We only have 1 life, I agree – girls need to stop stressing about diet so much!

• Alexis @ Run Crush July 25, 2014, 6:50 am

Great, timely post. I’ve been horrified by the things happening in Gaza and Israel, but I almost don’t want to read about it because it feels easier that way, you know? But then I remember the people there can’t not know what’s going on because it’s happening to them. It’s so hard to really put things in perspective sometimes, but this is a great reminder that we can probably put almost all of our daily stressers in perspective if we want to. Thanks for this. Thinking of your cousin.
    Alexis @ Run Crush recently posted…Summer Running…Having a BlastMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:22 am

I know – sometimes ignorance is bliss. I really feel like watching the news though can’t even give us true perspective on what goes on in other places. Just like Hurricane Sandy which hit where I live almost two years ago, unless you were in the NY area, you couldn’t full understand.

• Anoushe July 25, 2014, 7:03 am

Wow. Reading that email really shows what people put up with and live through in this world. A friend of mine from school moved to Israel when we graduated because she wanted to study architecture there, and her stories generally freak me out… she is a hilariously funny and communicative person, so when she tells you about the bomb alarms going off in the middle of the night you don’t really understand how grave the situation is.. she put it like: Oh my god those stupid alarms keep on going off while I am in my ugliest PJs and am brushing my teeth – I mean what if there is a cute guy in the bomb shelter? I don’t think I could stay that cool – but I guess it is just part of their life? It’s terrible.. I really really hope we aren’t heading in the direction of a third World War… scary
    Anoushe recently posted…Gone, going, goneMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:21 am

Isn’t it funny and amazing how well they handle what they live through? I can’t imagine it, however, anyone that I know that has lived in Israel, deals with the life the exact same way over there. It’s truly fascinating but to them, it’s just another day of life.

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 25, 2014, 7:11 am

YUM!!!! Ok now I’m craving ice cream. There is a little local place here that has espresso oreo ice cream and it is the BEST.

• tina Muir July 25, 2014, 8:01 am

No. I am not letting you abandon cold stone! Even after what they did to me last week, they are still one up on ben and jerrys! Especially with all their new combinations. If I haadddd to pick a flavor, i suppppoosseee I would chose what a cluster…..definitely my favorite tub of ice cream….yummmmm! How am I supposed to run hills this morning with all that ice cream in my mind?!?!!
    tina Muir recently posted…Skinny Buffalo Chicken and Vegetable EnchiladasMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:19 am

Haha – I don’t know…I am thinking you and me need to do a taste test one of these days just to determine the winner of this ice cream debate. I am telling you – the hot fudge from Ben & Jerry’s was far superior.

• Shannon July 25, 2014, 8:21 am

Oh My Goodness that SUNDAE!!! Dying over here, that sounds and looks amazing. I haven’t had actual ice cream in forever! (Lactose intolerance). But frozen yogurt is easier to digest for me, and holy cats I need that sundae in my life! haha!
    And definitely crispy home fries. NOMS 🙂
    Shannon recently posted…Thinking Out Loud: Eat, Lift, Sleep, RepeatMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:24 am

Crispy homefries for sure! I handle yogurt better too. I am not lactose intolerant but too much of the regular stuff will upset my stomach.

• Jaclyn @ BumpSweat July 25, 2014, 8:37 am

What I needed this morning. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in our own little world, in our own little lives, that honestly, are nothing more than momentary and mean very little in the grand scheme of things. Be grateful for what we can do – go outside without fearing for your life – and realize the ‘challenges’, even the truly tough ones, are only temporary.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…{Emotionally} Fit Friday: High-Low-HighMy Profile

• Frank July 25, 2014, 11:38 am

“not as hot as normal for July”, with rockets falling from the sky . . .

Haven’t had B&J’s for a while, Chunky Monkey?

I’m not a home fries type of guy, both potatoes and fried are way down on my list.

Down on LI again this week, trying to diversify off of Robert Moses/Fire Island. A couple of weeks ago, I did Sunken Meadow and Jones Beach. Today, I’m going to check out Heckscher State Park for the first time. I hear they have a nioce combination of trail, boardwalk and beach. Hoping for 60-90 minutes easy . . .

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven July 25, 2014, 12:01 pm

C and I received an email from a close friend of ours in Israel along the same lines. I was trying to explain to C how life there continues to go on despite a war that is quite literally in their backyard. Of course I certainly have no perspective on their experience but if they can continue to live their lives despite it being threatened 24 hours a day then I should be mighty grateful I don’t have to. Am Yisrael Chai.
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Fresh Corn Salsa with Baked Chili Lime Tortilla ChipsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:29 am

It’s so hard to explain to people how their lives continue despite constant threat and war going on. It just seems to be what they know, how they live. I don’t full understand it, but how could I when I live here and have always been too afraid to go to Israel. The rest of my family though? They would hop a plane at any time to go there, like nothing.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 25, 2014, 1:06 pm

I honestly can’t even imagine living like that. Like… it’s completely out of my realm of comprehension. It really does put things into perspective when you think about what others have to deal with, though… and it’s good to have those kind of reminders since it can be so easy to get trapped in our own little bubbles.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. almond joy oatmeal cookies .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:30 am

I am forever trying to snap my friends out of their bubble and put their lives into perspective for them because even without the Mideast turmoil, sometimes we take minor problems or what we perceive as problems wayyyyy too seriously. We really need to be thankful for what we have and the way we live which is something I truly remind myself every day.

• The Zen Kat July 25, 2014, 1:54 pm

Ben & Jerry’s > Cold Stone any day for me! That sundae looks amazing. My favorite flavor is the Half Baked. So good!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:31 am

Love half-baked! I always used to pick out the cookie dough and brownie chunks and leave the ice cream.

• Sam @ The Running Graduate July 25, 2014, 1:56 pm

I have been eating so much Ben & Jerry’s lately! I love their Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz Buzz!
    This morning I did my “long run” for the week, which was 8 miles. I hope to run on Sunday too, but it’ll depend on how I feel after work!
    Sam @ The Running Graduate recently posted…Friday Favorites – New Gear!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:31 am

I need to get myself back to Ben & Jerry’s quick, I swear that sundae is still on my mind. Maybe after my long run this weekend!

• Alexis July 25, 2014, 5:49 pm

I love Ben and Jerrys! My favorite flavor is Phish Food. I was extremely hesitant to try it but my boyfriend made me. No regrets!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:32 am

Ohhh it is so good with those chocolately fish pieces! I have had it many times before.

• Amy July 25, 2014, 6:38 pm

Awww…that’s sweet to hear that your son said you made him the best ever of his entire life Omelet. Love that!

The sundae you had at Ben & Jerry’s sounded amazing! It’s so sad…we don’t have any Ben & Jerry’s (stores) in Arizona. 🙁

So well said about putting things into perspective. I’ve been especially doing that a lot lately and…actually…will be touching on that in a post in about a week or two.

Anyways, I, too watch the news daily. Sure, there’s a lot going on in the world, but I think it’s important for us all to be aware of and also WANT to know what’s going on in other countries. After all, they are our brothers and sisters too. We really are lucky and blessed here in America. What is going on in the Ukraine, Israel, and Middle East, let alone African countries (lack of water, AIDS, resources) and Honduras…it’s just important for us all to be aware, even if it causes our hearts to sink. Enables me to grow in compassion and understanding and humility.

Anyways, again…great post, Meredith!
    ~Amy 🙂
    Amy recently posted…Met Rx BIG 100 Protein Bar – Chocolate Chip Cookie DoughMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:33 am

Don’t feel too bad, the Ben & Jerry’s actual store locations are really few and far between. I don’t get why, they should really have more. They are grew up in my hometown – you would think even we would have more locations but we don’t.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld July 25, 2014, 8:00 pm

Thanks for sharing perspective and humour in one. I now will give myself a reality check when I freak out over the most petty of things.

2 things.
    1. Is it rude that I’m already intending on hanging out with you when I visit America….but also get some red mango AND home frie action? I’d even go on a run with you just to get it.
    2. Ben And jerrys > Cold stone. Mainly because we don’t have the latter here. We have baskin robbins randomly. Baskin robbins is terrible.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…No Bake Triple Almond Breakfast CookiesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 26, 2014, 4:34 am

Definitely let me know when you will be in NY! I think Amanda said you may be in Toronto in the fall? I may try to come but not sure the timing will work…As for Baskin Robbins, I think it used to be much better, however, their hot fudge isn’t good. It’s more like syrup and I don’t like that.

• jill conyers July 27, 2014, 8:36 am

I do skip the bread basket but wish I didn’t have to. If I find a restaurant that serves gluten free bread I won’t skip it. Promise! I don’t skip dessert. I rarely want dessert but when I do I order whatever is my favorite and enjoy every single bite 🙂 PF Changs makes a flourless chocolate dome cake that is out of this world good. I never skip it!
    jill conyers recently posted…7 Healthy Pancake Topping RecipesMy Profile

• Nikki @ will run for pizza July 27, 2014, 9:48 pm

Oh my gosh I wanna go to an actual Ben & Jerry’s store so bad! I love that stuff. I can’t pick just ONE as my fave though. 🙁 Strawberry cheesecake. Mint with the chocolate crunchy things. Salted caramel. Clearly I don’t remember all the names. Now I want some B & J’s….
    Nikki @ will run for pizza recently posted…Workouts, food prepping, and yoga injured my hip.My Profile