Why I Signed Up For Pure Barre

Allow me to give you a glimpse at what it is like to have a conversation with my son:

My son: So what did you do today while I was at camp?

Me: Aside from writing and errands, I took a barre class.

My son: Exercising with a bar? Are you training to be stripper now?

Thinking-Out-Loud

Pure Barre, as we briefly discussed on Monday, is a low-impact full-body workout that focuses on isometric movements involving strengthening and stretching of the muscles to, as they say, Life, Tone and Burn.

I haven’t had an actual gym membership since last summer. I had canceled my Lifetime  Athletic membership about a year ago because I didn’t feel that that the amount of time I was actually spending there was justifying the cost.

I prefer to run outdoors year round and for the days that I can’t or for days where I need to cross train, I have a gym inside my community which can serve my purpose really very well.

gym

But I needed a little something different this summer incorporated into my routine. I wanted something different. I deserved something different… even if only for a one month new client special.

Why I signed up for Pure Barre:

I do enough cardio.

Spinning is great and I miss it but I didn’t want to pay to do more cardio.

The Pure Barre technique certainly has my muscles fatigued and shaking immediately but in a low impact, easy on the joints, no sweating or heart rate increase (at least for me) kind of way.

I am learning this new technique they refer to over and over as “tucking” which involves your abs, and core, and seat and ribs and hips but I still can’t describe what the heck it is to you. Give me a few more classes.

I didn’t want to rejoin a whole big gym.

I don’t need all of the features of a gym filled with cardio equipment, weights, class variety and babysitting.

I didn’t want other options.

Having multiple options normally available in a full-service fitness center would leave me tempted to step on a treadmill and run a few miles when my purpose for joining in the first place was to NOT run and do some cross training or strength training instead.

Other options would give me an excuse to leave a body pump class because I don’t feel like lifting weights or get off a spin bike because I don’t like the instructors choice in music in favor of fluttering around the gym doing other random things and I don’t need to pay money to do random things.

I wanted a focus and a purpose.

I wanted to focus on strengthening the muscles I use to run in a low-impact way while also figuring out how to stretch and relax everything in me that takes a pounding on the pavement.

Even though you feel yourself working those muscle groups immediately from the warm up, somehow you leave there all relaxed which is probably because Pure Barre produces similar mental benefits as you would achieve from a yoga or pilates class.

The whole mind-body connection is real.

You really are so focused on isolating and working each muscle group (while you see yourself visibly shaking in the mirror) that you block everything else in your life out.

And while I am connecting my mind and my body, I am completed disconnected from my phone.

I leave my phone in my bag which is inside the cubby room so for 55 minutes, I am unplugged. It is wonderful.

pure barre

The cubbies are in the same area as the weights, balls and stretchy tube things we use for each class.

It’s nice to not have my phone next to my water bottle. When it is near you, you notice it. Even on silent. You would notice the screen flash and that is annoying and distracting.

Although I do wish something could take my focus off of my abdominals shaking through my core but since that’s the whole point of the class, I participate like a good student.

Some poses and exercises are easier for me than others. I notice my legs are quite strong but my core sure needs work.

The planks that I do on my own have helped me some but the challenge created by the different-than-I-am-used-to ab work is brutally awesome.

I struggle through some of the sets but stop when I need to. I am sure I could push myself more but I was never one to really do so.

I am not looking to see a six-pack in my abs. I am 36 years old and had a baby.

Whatever I can do I feel is more than I was doing on my own which is more than enough for me.

If someone could train my stomach to remain flat and not to bloat from vegetables, I would take that for sure over really defined abdominal muscles.

Today will be my third class at Pure Barre. I am really looking forward to it.

My plan is to attend two, if not three, Pure Barre classes a week.

Although I will want to, I probably won’t sign up again right away when my one-month membership expires because it is pricey.

If they offer another deal, that is another story.

I am hoping to learn enough in this month to be able to incorporate some of the exercises into my own fitness routine at home.

I have a “yoga” room separate from the gym – here’s a peak:

yoga room

I use it on occasion for stretching, free weight nonsense and for those times where I try to simulate my own kick boxing class.

If I can kick box on my own, I am sure I can Pure Barre on my own.

I just don’t have a barre.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

**********************

Do you leave your phone home/in your gym bag when running/working out?

Favorite cross training activity/class?

Random question —> Is your coffee iced or hot today?

• Alexis @ Run Crush July 24, 2014, 5:55 am

I’ve never tried PureBarre before, but I’ve done a couple Barre inspired classes, and they definitely kick my butt. I agree that working my muscles in a low-impact way is a great idea, especially to balance out all the running. I think Barre has a website with some online classes. I’m moving soon, so I’ll have to cancel my gym membership, and I might look into their website to tide me over. Or I’ll be cheap and just do Youtube videos, even if they aren’t quite as good. We’ll see!
    Alexis @ Run Crush recently posted…Summer Running…Having a BlastMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014, 1:06 pm

I always meant to look into the online classes offered – I was just never good at workouts from home. I should consider it again though.

• Brynn July 24, 2014, 6:19 am

I really enjoyed Pure Barre as well, but it does seem pricey. However, I loved the way I felt, looked forward to the workouts and enjoyed the change of pace with class (vs a spin).

Most mornings I start with a hot cup of coffee. If I go to the gym first, I will grab an iced coffee on the way home. I just never like the way I make iced coffee. Always taste to weak.
    Brynn recently posted…Fitting OutMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014, 1:05 pm

I agree with why you like Pure Barre and agree about the price….I like my iced coffee method. Somehow just pouring a hot cup over ice with milk works for me, even better than the taste of a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee (and much cheaper).

• Susie @ SuzLyfe July 24, 2014, 6:40 am

That’s great that you liked it that much. If it was as close to my apartment as my yoga studio, I would probably look into it (also if not for the price–I clean at yoga in order to practice for free).
    And my coffee is hot 90% of the time. Hello, I’m in a/c now.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Lady Gaga Told Me to Buck Up #ThinkingoutloudMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014, 1:03 pm

I walk around in long sleeves all summer since I am forever in and out of air conditioning which always leaves me cold.

• Sarah @pickyrunner July 24, 2014, 7:24 am

Hahaha your conversation with your son is awesome. I absolutely loved barre the few times I took it. I would do it more often but it is sooo expensive.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…The End of BoatlifeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014, 1:03 pm

I knew you would appreciate the ten year old comment since you were babysit kids that age. Barre is pretty expensive. I am hoping they continue to run some deals or at least one again in a few months.

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 24, 2014, 7:24 am

I’ve been thinking about joining a Pure Barre studio because I feel like I need some more workout motivation and that’s the type of workout that I could actually do before work (since I wouldn’t get super sweaty and have to wash my hair again). Hmm… we shall see!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014, 1:02 pm

I am so with you on the hair! You can definitely take a barre class and not have to worry about your hair getting sweaty at all. Running is a whole other story and this summer it is really interfering with my hair washing schedule lol.

• asPaklusktw June 17, 2016, 6:44 am

[url=http://lexaprogeneric.bid/]lexapro generic[/url] [url=http://buyeffexor.racing/]additional info[/url] [url=http://clonidineadhd.cricket/]clonidine adhd[/url] [url=http://buy-tadacip.eu/]buy tadacip online[/url] [url=http://buy-hydrochlorothiazide.in.net/]buy hydrochlorothiazide[/url] [url=http://buyfurosemide.eu/]furosemide[/url]

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 24, 2014, 7:42 am

I usually go for hot coffee, but I was actually thinking that I might grab an iced one today… so I find it kind of creepy that you ask on the one day I’ve been thinking about changing it up 😛 Time will tell — I might still change my mind.

And I have a barre/yoga/pilates studio a few blocks from my house that I’ve been meaning to check out, but I’ve been saying that for like a year and still haven’t done it. Ooooone day 😉
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #88 .My Profile

• Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli July 24, 2014, 9:03 am

I am loving that everyone in the blogosphere is jumping on the Pure Barre bandwagon! I’ve been going for a little over 18 months now and am still obsessed. This review definitely does it justice and yeah, give it time! :D. What helped me get the “tuck” is thinking about folding my abs in half (top to bottom) and doing a small hip thrust. I hope that made sense! Yay for Pure Barre!!
    Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli recently posted…When Your Diet Defines YouMy Profile

• Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy July 24, 2014, 9:21 am

Oh my god your son is hilarious. How old is he?!
    Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted…Life In Pictures Link Up #2My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014, 12:58 pm

Ha – he is ten. Can you imagine? lol. I think he thought of the bar as a pole but I certainly wasn’t getting into the difference lol.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma July 24, 2014, 9:25 am

I have a Bar Method super close to me and have done a trial class but have been fighting with myself over whether to just get a package there! I can clearly see the benefits of the class for me – the focus, small movements, core strength, general strength – and it’s the complete opposite of running which I could really use. I’m just not sure it would be worth it or if I could even stick with it through marathon training. A runner friend also just became a bar method instructor and feels like it has really benefitted her running. Thanks for the info and food for thought 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Paleo Mom Problem: Let the Picky Eaters Eat…Nothing?My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014, 12:58 pm

That’s the thing – the complete opposite of running! I think that’s why I like it and feel like I am doing something good for myself. Maybe get the cheapest package for now and try that out? I have a feeling you would come to appreciate it even during marathon training. It’s like a break from the pounding yet still a serious workout without fully realizing it.

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 24, 2014, 10:25 am

They are opening two Pure Barres here in Omaha soon… but unfortunately I do not think I’ll be able to afford them. I’m so upset 🙁
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…WIAW: July 23, 2014 (Recent Eats)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014, 12:56 pm

Yeah, it’s a bit pricey but I am sure they are going to run the new client specials and I wouldn’t be surprised if you could find a groupon deal. Keep your eyes out for it and join they facebook fan page for deals too.

• Lish July 24, 2014, 10:37 am

A friend of mine raves about these classes…I should try one out!

• jill conyers July 24, 2014, 10:45 am

I keep saying I’m gong to try a Pure Barre class but haven’t yet. I workout at home and love my home gym but I’ve been considering joining a boxing gym. Yikes! So excited and a little intimidated 🙂
    jill conyers recently posted…Celebrating 21 YearsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014, 12:42 pm

Totally join somewhere, just to mix things up! If only for a month to month type of thing. I like suddenly having something new and different to my routine.

• Julia @ Vegas Mother Runner July 24, 2014, 11:21 am

I keep hearing so many good things about Barre. I’ve got to try it! I usually leave my phone in the car while at the gym. My favorite class is Body Pump because I hate lifting weights and it makes it fun. My coffee is always hot, even though it’s 110 today.
    Julia @ Vegas Mother Runner recently posted…Staying on Track While on VacationMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 24, 2014, 12:41 pm

I usually prefer my coffee hot but lately I have been throwing in an iced coffee that I make myself as a second cup in the morning.