Peanut Butter And Berry Quinoa

I had been mentally planning to run a four mile race this morning but was waiting until the last-minute to sign up because I wanted to ensure the weather forecast was ideal and that honestly, I didn’t have anything else on the agenda that I felt like doing instead.

I love to run and I don’t even mind running in the rain but I can run four miles any time I feel like stepping out my front door so unless the conditions are completely ideal to my schedule and mood, I am not paying and driving to a race location to run for thirty minutes.

I am super glad that I didn’t register in advance because the random hurricane that is passing on by is bringing more rain than my Lulu rain jacket and I find entertaining.

It actually isn’t all that rainy at this moment though so I will probably run outdoors for a bit anyway. Besides, I have something new to test out that arrived yesterday in the mail.

Pro Compression Calf Sleeves

I finally ordered a new pair of Pro Compression calf sleeves. I went with the sleeves this time because I am insane when it comes to my feet and when I switch between types of socks it affects my lacing and I can’t have that.

I know Pro Compression has a pair of stars and stripes socks which would probably fit the mood a little bit better today but I am not all that festive and would probably only wear such a thing if it matched my outfit which it probably wouldn’t because I wear more pink than red.

It’s not that I lack holiday spirit. I am all about celebrating freedom and independence but I don’t doily it up with red, white and blue and insist upon typical holiday activities and foods just because tradition says so.

It’s a free country right, isn’t that the point?

So even if today calls for consuming foods you would find at a barbecue, if I feel like Chinese food later, that is what I will have.

Without really trying though, I noticed holiday spirit making it’s way into my kitchen.

fruit infusion berries

Just throw some blueberries and strawberries in a bowl or even better, layer them in your fruit infusion pitcher. See? Now that’s the spirit.

Fact: The strawberries lose their flavor after being in the pitcher for a few days but the blueberries are still tasty enough to eat.

In all seriousness, I realized you may be looking for a quick, easy, tasty and rather healthy side dish/dessert to bring to someone’s festive barbecue today and I didn’t want to let you down.

fruity peanut butter quinoa

I had leftover quinoa this week so the simple sweet genius that I am created Peanut Butter And Berry Quinoa by combining quinoa, peanut butter, sliced strawberries, blueberries and a drizzle of honey to make this satisfying bowl of holiday goodness.

fruity peanut butter quinoa

This peanut butter and berry loaded quinoa was terrific as dessert last night and will likely make a repeat appearance as breakfast this morning.

Maybe with some greek yogurt if I am feeling all fancy.

It’s really quite simple to make and stores well in the refrigerator too.

Peanut Butter And Berry Quinoa

Ingredients
  • One cup dry quinoa
  • One Pint of Blueberries
  • One container of sliced strawberries
  • Three to Four tablespoons of peanut butter (I used Peanut Butter & Co.'s Crunch Time plus Mighty Maple)
  • Honey
Instructions
  1. Cook quinoa in water according to package instructions.
  2. It should yield you a few cups of quinoa once cooked.
  3. Once cooked and all water is absorbed in the pot, add in peanut butter so that it gets all melty and stirs in to the point where you really don't notice it.
  4. Once cooled, add in berries. Drizzle with honey.

This recipe is certainly not an exact science. Add more fruit. Add more peanut butter. Cover it in honey. Do as you please.

It’s a free country.

********************

Are you running a race today?

What are your holiday/weekend plans?

Do you prefer the Pro Compression calf sleeves or the marathon socks?

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 4, 2014, 8:52 am

Yumm! Like a peanut butter and jelly, but with quinoa! I must try this!

• Susie @ Suzlyfe July 4, 2014, 8:53 am

I read somewhere that it is better to run in the sleeves and recover in the socks, so I got with that, and I like it. It helps me regulate my temperature better..
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…Happy Fourth of July!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 7, 2014, 8:09 am

I really love compression socks – definitely feel the difference when I use them.

• Jaclyn @ Bumpsweat July 4, 2014, 8:59 am

I never would have thought to bring something like this to a gathering; genius! We’re en route to spend the 4th with college friends. Excited! Enjoy your day!
    Jaclyn @ Bumpsweat recently posted…Fit Friday: A 4th-of-July Workout + This Week’s Fitness RecapMy Profile

• Hilary July 4, 2014, 9:13 am

I did the same thing with my run I was supposed to run this morning. I opted to just do some insanity at home instead, something about going to be at midnight and getting up at 6am to run just didn’t seem worth it! And thank you so much for your recipe I was just planning on making some sort of quinoa salad today for the fourth ! So festive!
    Hilary recently posted…Recent Obsession!My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 4, 2014, 12:06 pm

I’ve been loving experimenting with different grains in sweet dishes lately. I made a rice bowl the other day with almond butter, honey, and Greek yogurt that I’m kind of head over heels for now. Still need to give quinoa a shot 🙂
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #85 .My Profile

• Frank July 4, 2014, 2:00 pm

Ran the Firecracker 4 Mile Road Race here in Saratoga Springs, a great community oriented event with lots of competitive and non-competitive team opportunities; they may have hit 4000 runners this year. It was a fun day on a well-planned course.

And now my plans are to watch soccer . . .

I’m pretty basic when it comes to gear, though the sparkly gold laces on my new Mizuno racing flats added just the right touch to my red (shorts), white (socks), and blue (Saratoga Stryder shirt) outfit 🙂 A 3rd place finish on the Open Men’s Team (medals and $100) makes the ride and registration worth it for 28:06 of running 🙂

Time to celebrate

• Arman @ thebigmansworld July 6, 2014, 5:41 am

Look at you, using TWO different peanut butters in there- way to whore it out :p

This is such a unique twist on Quinoa….I’ve been meaning to try it in a sweeter form, so might need to sub oatmeal one of these weekends for it!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #31- Flashback Posts #1My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 7, 2014, 8:06 am

I definitely recommend using the quinoa in a sweet way. It is truly versatile and definitely breakfast worthy. And dessert worthy.

• lindsay July 7, 2014, 1:35 pm

briliant! love the colors and the sound of this, especially post run!