How To Become A Morning Runner

I have a really great group of friends. I really like them.

If you must know the truth, I think my friends should be honored I feel this way about them because if you know me, you know I have little tolerance for people.

hate people and pants

Forever my motto.

It is actually nice to know that my friends feel the same way about me as well. At least I think they do?

We all get moody. We all have days where we are dealing with serious life issues or just a PMS mood swing where we don’t  feel like talking to anyone and wish to hide from the world.

It warms my heart to know that when this happens to any of my close friends, they avoid everyone…except for me.

They choose to talk to me because I am, for the most part, non-judgemental, help to put things into perspective, listen without trying to conjure up a solution and when all else fails, I get them to laugh and always recommend an ice cream cone with sprinkles.

There are times however where my true opinion is asked. There are also times where I can’t be all that sweet and kind because I am rather honest and blunt, especially on certain topics.

Sometimes I am asked for help in such a way that it seems everything must be easy and quick for me to answer, as if I can rattle off recipes in one text, advice and tips in the next message and solve all of the world’s problems in a matter of minutes.

topic tuesday running

Recently I was asked how to become a morning runner.

I can certainly throw at you a string of words and phrases which resemble some the cookie-cutter  How-To lists generated from a google search on the subject but something like that coming from someone like me wouldn’t be all that genuine.

The truth is, I have always been a morning person. I have never used an alarm clock in my entire life and sleeping in as a kid meant not opening my eyes until 7:00 am.

Over the course of my 36 years of life, maybe I have stayed asleep past 9:00 am a handful of times.

If you are not a morning person, I haven’t the slightest idea how to tell you to get up earlier to workout other than simply say, get yourself out of bed and go.

I can’t relate to your inability to get up in the morning. I don’t understand why you need a buzzing beeping sound to rattle you out of sleep.

exercise in morning

I don’t know how you skip a morning workout in favor of sleeping in to then stumble through your morning routine with half an eye opened on your way to work.

I don’t understand how sleeping an extra hour can offer you the same energy and cheery mood that an endorphin-producing morning run as short as thirty minutes can.

You make no sense to me when you say you can’t find thirty minutes a couple of mornings a week to get up and get out there.

And you have a treadmill in your house? But you can’t bring yourself to get out of bed, put your clothes on and push the button? Please explain.

You often skip your evening plan for a workout because life gets in the way? Please tell me what is getting in the way at 5:30 am, even if only a few times a week.

Unless you need to catch a 6:00 am flight or leave for work at a super early hour, I don’t know how to relate.

I realize I am being a bit narrow-minded, blunt and harsh but sometimes, especially when it comes to situations like this, my friends need to be spoken to in this manner. Sometimes these precise words and questions are necessary to get them to stop making excuses and to finally see where they can make adjustments to their routine.

Since I don’t want to upset you and because I can’t buy you an ice cream cone to make peace, here is a sweetened up version of what I just said:

*A morning workout gives you energy to power through your day.

*An early morning run or workout will put a smile on your face, reduce some stress and help you to be kinder to the people who encounter you afterwards.

*Running in the morning frees up time later for life to get in the way.

And on the same note, very little can interfere with your morning workout. Think about it; nothing is interfering when you are choosing to stay asleep so what would get in the way if you chose to instead get up and do some burpees, planks and jumping jacks in your living room?

*Starting your day with a workout may help you to stick to your healthy diet and lifestyle.

*Waking up earlier may help you to go to get into bed earlier which may lead to less night-time snacking, possible weight loss and maybe even better – more hours of sleeping.

*Getting up an hour earlier than normal may leave you tired within the first few minutes but you won’t feel it once you get moving nor will you notice it later in the day.

*At 5:00 pm, you will be happy your workout was already completed.

I really wish I could tell you that sleeping in your workout apparel will help you to get up in the morning and run but I just can’t say this to you and feel serious about it.

I know some people do this (to each their own I suppose), but it’s not something I can relate to or recommend.

I cannot fathom sleeping in a running skirt and a sweat-wicking athletic top with a built-in bra and back closure clip that I think would dig into my skin.

Listen people. It is summer. The sun is up and out early. Join it.

Wake up and put your clothes up like a big girl (or boy). Brush your teeth, sip your coffee or water and eat a banana or whatever it is you need to do in order to lace up and get moving.

Set the routine now so that when winter comes, you are already adapted to the morning workout regimen and won’t be tempted to stay under the covers when it is cold and dreary out there.

Ugh, let’s not even think about that now.

***********************

Are you a morning person or do you prefer to sleep in?

What time is your most effective workout time?

Do you sleep in your gym clothes?

Do you have friends you turn to when you feel like talking to no one else?

• Susie July 1, 2014, 6:54 am

I’m a early riser but NOT a morning person. That said, I like to work out in the morning, but mid-morning is more of my jam. I’ve been doing the daily morning workout for about 3 weeks now, and it is still a bit of a struggle to get my booty downstairs.
    Susie recently posted…Fulfillment and Philanthropy #treatyourselfMy Profile

• Tina Muir July 1, 2014, 7:32 am

Yes! I am exactly the same, I think most bloggers in our community are in the same boat….although some of them amaze me when they get up at 4:00am…I couldn’t do that. If it wasn’t for my running career, I would get up a lot earlier, but I know how important recovery is. I think you are right in morning workouts, and in summer it is especially important as the quality of your run goes downhill FAST if you do not get it done before the heat rises. When I am doing my marathon workouts, I have to start my runs early, or my body will break down in the heat.

Speaking of moody, I definitely had a moody day yesterday….feel bad for my boyfriend haha
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: Spiralized Pizza on the GrillMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 1, 2014, 10:52 am

I hate the heat and totally head out earlier than usual to avoid the brutal hours. Although, even before 7:00 am sometimes it is pretty uncomfortable.

• Shannon July 1, 2014, 8:15 am

Absolutely a morning person. Times a million. I start winding down around 7pm every night, and it’s hard to shake that sometimes! I really gotta try and stay up “late” on weekends 🙂 But never sacrifice my morning workouts – that’s my opportune time to sweat!
    Shannon recently posted…MIMM: Finally Feels like SUMMER!My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 1, 2014, 8:37 am

Definitely a morning person these days, but when I was younger? HA! Getting up for school was torture, and I’d often be out until 4 or 5 AM whereas now I’m getting up at that time. I think I prefer it this way, though… The early mornings are my favourite time of the day, mostly because of how peaceful they are. Then again, I’ve always been a fan of the late, late night too… Let’s just say the middle of the day is my least favourite 😉
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. lightened-up cheesecake dip {two ways} .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 1, 2014, 10:59 am

I have pulled a few almost all nighters like that, even fairly recently (as in a couple of summers ago). It’s fun on occasion but I could never keep up a night owl routine.

• Julia @ a Vegas Mother Runner July 1, 2014, 8:40 am

I love this. You are so funny! Morning runner for life. I wasn’t always but now that I’ve been doing it for a while, it totally beats trying to get the motivation to go for a run after a long day.
    Julia @ a Vegas Mother Runner recently posted…Our Annual Summer Utah TripMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 1, 2014, 10:54 am

I am glad you get my personality rather than thinking I am rude lol…a morning run sure beats finding the time, energy and motivation later in the day. I was never good at afternoon or evening workouts. For some people it works but for me, just no.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 1, 2014, 10:54 am

• carmy July 1, 2014, 9:40 am

I’m ashamed to say I used to be a morning runner (after being a midnight runner) but now I sleep in! I just can’t seem to get out of bed until my dog starts with his whimpering haha. It was do-able in the fall/winter to run later in the day however, with the summer heat I’ll have to go back to early morning or middle of the night runs again. Your points are making me lean towards morning runs but I’ll definitely miss sleeping in haha
    carmy recently posted…Monday Meal PrepMy Profile

• Kirtley @ The Gist of Fit July 1, 2014, 9:46 am

OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE this post!! I am SUCH a morning person too! Haha I actually just wrote about that. Can’t stand missing mornings. My hub isn’t a morning person..he wants to be but I doubt he ever will be haha. You are awesome Meredith.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 1, 2014, 10:55 am

Aw thank you! I feel sorry for those people who can’t figure out how to be a morning person. Although, the night owls must feel sorry for me since I am not very good at staying up super late on a regular basis.

• Megan @ The Skinny-Life July 1, 2014, 9:58 am

This post is funny, real and so true! Love it!!! I am a morning person always have been. I never used to workout at night until my job forced me to start in the morning. It was tough at first but now I cannot imagine another start to my day. I’m more focused and energized throughout the day.
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Apera Performance Duffel Review + GiveawayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 1, 2014, 10:57 am

Yeah, the routine adjustments from work requirements can make things tricky. It’s hard sometimes to find the balance but I always seemed to stick to a morning workout routine even if it meant getting up a little earlier. It just made my workday that much better. I tried the night time workouts after work but they never felt good to me.

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven July 1, 2014, 10:00 am

Sorry, sleep ins for me 😉 i’m a 10:00 AM person which probably isn’t helpful for my productivity lol. Also I am very honest too. When asked my opinion, I always speak my mind. Then again I speak my mind when not asked an opinion either…so yeah I hate people and pants.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 1, 2014, 10:57 am

We can hate people and pants together. Feel free to be blunt with me. I don’t mind.

• Lish July 1, 2014, 10:11 am

I have always been a morning runner too…It gets a little tough during the school year since I have to leave for work at 6am, but I go to a gym near work, so as long as I leave home at 4:30, I can fit in a treadmill run before work…it’s always tough the first week or two, but then you just get use to getting up at 4 – haha 🙂 yes, I go to bed at 8:30 too.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 1, 2014, 10:58 am

No worries, I am totally asleep quite often by 9:00 pm and anyone that knows me knows they can’t expect to reach me past 8:00 pm. I am done for the day and love every second of the quiet at that point in the evening during the week!

• Jaclyn @ BumpSweat July 1, 2014, 12:25 pm

Speaking so much truth here! I totally relate to you; I’m definitely a morning person and have a hard time feeling sorry for people who aren’t. Their excuses baffle me.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…{MIMM #1} First Baby Shower + Daddy J’s TriathlonMy Profile

• Mike @ FitFriend July 1, 2014, 2:31 pm

There are many things I love about this blog post, but my favorite thing is this: “At 5:00 pm, you will be happy your workout was already completed.”

That is my prime motivation for getting up at 5/6am, even on days that I really feel like sleeping in…until 7am 🙂
    Mike @ FitFriend recently posted…You can call me a jogger if you wantMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 2, 2014, 9:59 am

I would not enjoy the feeling of knowing that after 5:00 pm, I first need to workout. I am way too tired and would much rather do something else. Like relax.

• Amy July 1, 2014, 2:44 pm

Hello Meredith,
    I love this! I am also a morning exerciser. I have been for years and years and years, too! (I actually will “touch” on this a bit this Thursday, along with a few other “workout/fitness” ideas/thoughts.
    Great post, Meredith! I just love your raw honesty!
    ~Amy 🙂
    Amy recently posted…Chicken & Cheese Stuffed “Pizza” Eggplant BoatsMy Profile

• Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake July 1, 2014, 3:09 pm

Definitely a morning person, but it takes a lot of motivation to get me out and run early. I know I love it and I know I will feel better…I need to work on it. Actually, I did today! So thankful I got that done and it was pretty beasty.
    I like running at night sometimes with my group of runners or running with my dad. I prefer night runs mostly during the fall/winter, though.
    Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted…Top June Posts Roundup and SurveyMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 2, 2014, 9:58 am

I was never good at running or any form of a workout at night. I tried sometimes but it was just not effective. My best hours are in the morning, mentally and physically so I just try to capitalize on that.

• Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. July 1, 2014, 3:23 pm

I’ve tried before to be a morning runner – just haven’t tried hard enough!

I like my sleep! Although, my job placement for the first part of the year made me wake up earlier – so I am used to waking up at 5:45ish. I think once my mini-vacation ends tomorrow, I will start again!
    Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. recently posted…NYC Marathon: Pre-Training Week 2My Profile

• kyla July 1, 2014, 5:24 pm

I’m an early morning exerciser, nothing beats the feeling of starting your day with an endorphin rush and a sense of accomplishment 🙂 I totally can’t relate to people who sleep in, i literally can’t sleep past 7 … I guess the only downside is that i’m usually ready for bed by 9.

• lindsay July 1, 2014, 8:02 pm

so i tried running at 9am versus 7:30 am today…. um.. FAIL! too hot

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 2, 2014, 9:56 am

Even 7:30 am has been a bit too hot for me lately! I can’t remember the last time I ran at 9 but I am sure by this point in the summer season I would drown in my own sweat at that hour!

• Lauren @ LoveChocolateLife July 2, 2014, 11:14 am

I LOVE this post!!!!!! ALL of my friends ask and ask all the time how I wake up to run in the morning. I unfortunately am NOT a morning person, but I “became one” because working out in the morning is better for 100000 reasons you listed above. I love most being done with the workout and being able to do anything for the rest of the day !! Tell them to just start setting their alarm across the room so they HAVE to get up, that’s how I started !!
    Lauren @ LoveChocolateLife recently posted…Foodie Pen Pal: MayMy Profile

• Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy July 6, 2014, 10:08 pm

This post is my EVERYTHING. Morning workouts are totally the best time to workout everm you reminded me to make a motivstional post this month 🙂 thank you so much!
    Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted…Life in Pictures Link Up #1My Profile