WIAW – National Strawberry Parfait Day

I still haven’t had a chance to replace my son’s cell phone. I realize that if it were my cell phone that somehow landed in a pool, I would have found the seconds to sit at Verizon but it wasn’t mine, he is only ten and being unfaceplanted from FaceTime for 48 hours isn’t the end of the world.

And, you should know that once again my suggestion to use a regular landline phone was shot down because, “those phones aren’t normal”.

If a regular phone is considered not normal, I have lost all perspective on what normal is. It’s not like I said use a phone with an actual cord or even a payphone. Do they still have payphones? I haven’t noticed one recently.

wiawphotobutton

I know I eat a lot of the same things (and I know you do too, just admit it already) but sometimes there is reasoning behind why I choose the foods that I do.

Pre-Run Breakfast:

Last week I was all excited about my switch to the Ezekiel raisin toast topped with peanut butter/banana mash and blueberries.

After a couple of mornings, as much as I love that combination, I found it not to work for me before I run.

When I say it didn’t work, it left me hungrier than my routine bowl of oatmeal.

oatmeal

They always said that oatmeal sticks to your ribs.

Perhaps the water content in a bowl of oatmeal makes a difference or maybe it’s the rate at which we digest the oats versus the bread? Whatever the reason, I find I run happier without a grumble in my stomach when I choose a small bowl of oatmeal with some fruit and a little PB2 or peanut butter (or both).

I would probably need two slices of the toast in order to feel “right” but while that may satiate me for a longer period of time, I know that it would also overfill my stomach before running.

It’s a tricky thing when you need to eat before a run. You don’t want to be hungry but you certainly don’t want to be too full.

Determining what too full means to you is all by trial and error and cannot be based on what may work for someone else.

Post-run breakfast:

My blender made a short appearance last week after my runs but it has since been placed back where it belongs in the cabinet.

post run meal

Cold oats with fruit, plain greek yogurt and peanut butter always leaves me satisfied.

Lunch:

I have added a terrific summer salad to go alongside my usual chick pea/avocado mash on toast.

summer salad

Roasted asparagus and kale combined with chopped cucumbers, plum tomatoes and avocado.

I refer to this salad as a summer salad because it contains a good mix of vegetables that won’t poof and bloat my stomach.

Not to mention, the healthy fats and potassium in avocados (more than in a banana!) helps to reduce water retention as well.

I have no patience for that overly full feeling, especially during the summer.

Mentally I like to feel full but not actually look full if you know what I mean.

Water of the week:

camelbak filtered water

To my surprise, I received a special package from Fitness Magazine which contained a new Camelbak Water Filtration Pitcher, a few hair ties and a notice about the upcoming Meet and Tweet scheduled for October.

I am absolutely in love with this Camelbak pitcher! It blows away the Brita pitcher in terms of size and the speed at which you can fill it up and the water is filtered – WOW.  It is so fast!

water pitchers

I use the Camelback filtered water to pour into the Fruit Infusion pitcher which this week is flavored with strawberries and lemons. So far this combination is our favorite.

Dinner:

I take saving money seriously. I try not to eat out during the week and do my best to throw together easy dinners when I need to, even if it means making them portable in order to avoid stopping for take-out more often than I should.

chickpeas rice stir fry

The other night when I needed to set up and attend my son’s class graduation party, I knew I would be hungry. Before I left for the party, I quickly put together a Pyrex container of Trader Joe’s brown rice medley, chick peas, a steam bag of vegetables and avocado flavored with sweet chili sauce.

Find me something easier, cheaper, more balanced and portable.

Dessert:

This never disappoints.

fruit peanut butter chocolate chips

Fruit bowls such as this have been making appearances throughout my day, not just at night for dessert.

Blueberries, strawberries and bananas in a bowl with peanut butter and chocolate chips.

Mix it all up and then wonder why you ever crave anything else.

Oh wait, before I go, I just found out that today is National Strawberry Parfait day!

I think that means I deserve a Red Mango parfait, don’t you think?

red mango parfait

I am really proud of my parfait-making ability. We all need to be good at something and this might be my something.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

***************************

Do you use a filtered water pitcher? Which one?

Which foods work for you before you run? Does one extra bite affect you if you eat too much?

Do you still have a landline phone in your house?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe June 25, 2014, 7:07 am

Tell him that he can get a carrier pigeon. That would be epic.
    I miss my morning oats. But right now my stomach isn’t feeling it in the am pre workout.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Thank You, A New Recipe, and Working Girl #WIAWMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 25, 2014, 7:30 am

😆 They DO still have pay phones. I take notice of them every now and again… and I remember phones with cords too. Omg those were the worst. Heaven forbid I actually have to sit still and talk. I have a landline, but I’ve actually been thinking of getting rid of it since I can’t even remember the last time it was useful? We’ll see. And the water pitcher I use issssss…. I forget (and I’m too lazy to go check), but I have that one by Camelbak from Blend… I just haven’t opened it yet.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. banana oat greek yogurt muffins .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 26, 2014, 10:09 am

I use my landline for dialing out. I find it much more comfortable if I am home to talk on a regular phone than on my cell.

• jill conyers June 25, 2014, 8:22 am

I need the fruit infusion pitcher! I have an infusion bottle but you have to remake too many times throughout the day.
    jill conyers recently posted…Coeur Sports: Comfort for Endurance AthletesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 26, 2014, 10:08 am

I saw the fruit infusion water bottle but would get annoyed too with having to remake it. The pitcher lasts longer for sure.

• Carmy June 25, 2014, 8:31 am

that one bite is what kills me! I’ll feel icky all run if I have too much food ): Also, I didn’t know it was national strawberry parfait day! I just bought strawberry parfait tea from DavidsTea the other day! I know how I’ll be celebrating it now 😉
    Carmy recently posted…WIAW! #2!!!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 26, 2014, 10:07 am

Ohhh that tea flavor sounds terrific. Is it good? They are opening a David’s Tea in my mall I believe. I am almost positive I spotted it the other day.

• Jaclyn @ BumpSweat June 25, 2014, 9:34 am

Right now, we use a Brita filter pitcher. It worked great when we first bought it but now, not so much. Even just after replacing the filter, it runs snail-pace slow. But, like you, I’m too much of a saver to invest in anything different at this juncture.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…{Babymoon-in-Review #2} Adirondack EatsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 26, 2014, 10:07 am

I totally hear you on the not spending the money on something different. Should you decide to though when you need to replace the water filter, I recommend the Camelbak pitcher instead.

• Tina Muir June 25, 2014, 10:51 am

That is SO smart….what a great way to get flavored water! I just have a regular brita….nothing too exciting. I love the phrase about oatmeal sticking to your ribs. I find that it does if it has greek yog or protein powder, but otherwise I still get hungry! Have a wonderful day friend 🙂
    Tina Muir recently posted…Saucony 500 Mile ChallengeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 26, 2014, 10:06 am

I agree with you on the plain oatmeal, as in when no protein is added. However, for before a run, I find oatmeal with just fruit and some pb is just enough to satisfy me without weighing me down.

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven June 25, 2014, 11:02 am

girllll you gots skill…come make me a parfait! Also why are Brita filters SO slow. Like I could run a marathon faster than it filters the water. I think I need the camelbak!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Quinoa Encrusted Zucchini Sticks w/ Honey Mustard Dipping SauceMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 26, 2014, 10:05 am

I put the Brita away in the closet. I am totally sticking to the Camelbak! It is crazy fast to fill and drink.

• Frank June 25, 2014, 2:02 pm

I keep considering filtered water. I get bogged down in the decision-making.

Banana, oatmeal, and sometimes a Balance Bar depending on how hungry I feel. All of those are “safe” for me, though the banana has been seeming to cause aproblem when the whether is hot and humid. Maybe I should try the avocado….

Switched my landline to Magicjack last year ($29.99 for the year) using my long-time landline number. I forward all my calls to my cell. I didn’t plan it, but it seems like none of the telemarketers get forwarded.

• GiGi Eats June 25, 2014, 10:51 pm

OK I need to get me one of those water infusers!!!!!! I love fruit infused water, mmmmm! There is a restaurant I ADORE where I live and 1/2 of the reason is because of the water!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Have Some Balls on Your Birthday!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 26, 2014, 10:11 am

I definitely recommend the fruit infusion pitcher. I have no problem guzzling plain water but with the fruity flavors, it is so much more enjoyable.