Running Too Many Days and Graham Cracker Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe

I am going to try to force myself NOT to run this morning. I can’t make any promises because I often do what I feel like doing rather than what I should, or really shouldn’t in this case, be doing.

I have woken up each day this week wanting nothing more than to run each morning (six days in a row now) when usually I cross train or take a rest day somewhere in between.

It’s all in the new shoes. I swear it. Blame them.

Yes, there is a downside to a fresh pair of running shoes.

I knew I needed a new pair of sneakers but since I have princess feet, sometimes I question how dire the situation really is.

adidas energy boost

Having now worn the new pink Adidas Energy Boost for ten days (and over sixty something miles), it has become clear to me that the yellow pair were more burned out than I even thought.

Over the last little while, I had been experiencing slight left hip pain throughout the day. Nothing major at all. I didn’t think about it or worry about it and just sometimes felt something. I noticed it randomly and attributed it more to an increase in mileage than anything else.

My heels, both my heels – they were an issue. Since it was both feet, I was confident nothing was seriously wrong but they were bothering me at the start of each run as well as walking after sitting (or sleeping) for extended periods of time.

Enter the new sneakers. No more aches and pains. In fact, I have been walking around with that overall feeling of having not run AT ALL.

You know what I mean, right? Even after a great run or workout, you somehow know you did something? Later in the day you are fatigued somehow? The next morning you have a general awareness that you ran ten miles the day before?

Feeling nothing can be a problem actually because one cannot run every single day. You just can’t.

And if you think you can, which subconsciously sometimes I do, out of nowhere the cumulative effect hits and you are burned out, tired, dead legged, overtrained and left severely injury prone, or, dare I say, actually injured.

Tomorrow is my long run so I really don’t need all of this catching up with me in the morning. I know it will catch up at some point. It always does.

I wish I wasn’t so stubborn.

runner ecard

Do as I say not as I do please.

The one place that I actually do feel sore lately is in my neck and upper back when I wake up because I need new pillows.

I kind of knew for a while that I needed new pillows but I have been putting it off because I would rather spend pillow money on frozen yogurt and running shoes.

Speaking of frozen yogurt, I won the battle of the ice cream man last night.

Not only do I have to compete with a musical truck riding around full of overly priced popsicles, my child feels that warm weather, extended daylight and no homework for the remainder of the school year means every evening should be out for dessert night.

I wasn’t spending the money when I knew I had a perfectly good carton of ice cream in my over-packed freezer.

I had to get creative really quick though last night because he was in one of those moods where everything I offered him was a terrible disgusting idea. As if.

graham cracker ice cream sandwich

Enter the graham cracker ice cream sandwich. Just place a big giant scoop of ice cream, frozen yogurt (or whatever frozen concoction you have in your freezer that you pass off as ice cream) on top of a graham cracker square, throw in some chocolate chips and close it up like a sandwich.

graham cracker ice cream sandwich

Go ahead and spread some peanut butter on those graham crackers too.

Voila. Graham cracker ice cream sandwich.

When I have cool whip (Trader Joe’s House Whip actually) in the house, I like to make cold smores in the summer which I know I posted about last year.

Here is a link to that recipe which is so super simple – all you need is cool whip, chocolate chips, marshmallows and graham crackers.

I haven’t been food shopping all week (been living out of my freezer) but it is time to restock the kitchen and will now remember to add House Whip to my list.

The trick is to remember to bring the list with me.

Have a terrific summer weekend!

****************

Are you a stubborn runner?

Favorite quick dessert recipe?

What’s one thing on your weekend agenda?

{ 13 comments… add one }

• Frank June 20, 2014, 6:51 am

Haven’t been a stubborn runner, always encourage my fellow runners to do less, though the past week, I’ve upped my mileage and speed (though not on the same days!) and I haven’t even yet bought my new shoes – I need both a pair of new Newtons trainers and Adidas Racing Flats . . . and I think my Asics Trail shoes need to be replaced :) Maybe it’s the onset of summer – or the near perfect weather or the bad influence of my buddies who run (I was going to say running buddies, but I rarely run with them, I just talk with them about running . . .) Hmmm … buddies? Sounds kinda funny. Or maybe I’m just up way too early.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe June 20, 2014, 7:07 am

I used to be a very, very stubborn runner. And I learned the hard way. So now I am more along the lines of a terrified runner. Well, that is a bit strong. I am overly cautious at times. But all 3 times that I ended up hurt this winter was from me just wanting to “finish my run” or “I had to get home,” so….
    Lesson? Walk to froyo, cab home. Problem solved.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…#FlatsFriday Numero Dos and Friday Favorites!My Profile

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables June 20, 2014, 7:36 am

Haha I have the opposite problem of having to force myself TO run! Wanna give me some of your running enthusiasm? ;)

I used to eat ice cream out of the carton using graham crackers as a spoon!!! I need to do this again.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 20, 2014, 10:48 am

Graham crackers as a spoon are a terrific idea. Dipped in peanut butter first to help stick to the ice cream : ).

• Mike @ FitFriend June 20, 2014, 7:52 am

Hey if you’re feeling good you might as well keep the streak alive! ;) I say go for it

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 20, 2014, 10:47 am

Haha – I try not to overpush my limits. I am sure I could have run today but it wasn’t worth a slow run and risking a sluggish long run tomorrow.

• Jaclyn @ BumpSweat June 20, 2014, 8:55 am

After buying graham crackers to make s’mores on vacation last week, I’ve been on a GC kick. And we just so happen to have ice cream in the fridge, so guess what we’re having as a little Friday night treat :)
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…Taking Baby Steps to Follow My IntuitionMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 20, 2014, 9:28 am

Huh… so you’re saying that buying new shoes will make me run like the wind too? Perhaps it’s time to go shopping :P In all seriousness, though, I DO need a new pair of shoes… I’m just not sure if I’m supposed to go for running shoes or cross training shoes. Decisions, decisions. And for super quick dessert, a handful of chocolate chips will usually do :D
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. would you rather .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 20, 2014, 10:45 am

I was never comfortable in cross training sneakers but that may just be me and my princess feet. However, running shoes didn’t exactly feel terrific when I opted for kick boxing class at the gym.

• emily June 20, 2014, 9:46 am

well, as someone who equated rest days with 5 mile walks or a “quick” hour on the elliptical, and ran practically at race pace all other days, I learned my lesson hard!

now I’m stuck with a pelvic stress fracture, and now must learn to love the pool.

hopefully I will come back to running healthier and wiser once healed!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 20, 2014, 10:45 am

Oh no – I hope you get better soon…It’s a tough thing to fight the urge to run or cross train all of the time since we love how we feel from it but we have to keep in mind that our bodies are just not machines. We all walk this fine line when knowing when to not push it and rest.

• Leslee @ Her Happy Balance June 20, 2014, 11:28 am

I’ve found that my body can pretty much only take 3 days of running per week (usually MWF mornings) before I start to feel worn out and achey. I’m excited and nervous to up my mileage these next few months with half training :) Have a great weekend!