WIAW – The Blue Banana

Last year my mother forced me to try on a dress that I knew I was not my style, was too form-fitting and most likely too short. You love how your mom can still make you try things on even when you are in your thirties.

When I came out of the fitting room, we both agreed I looked like someone who belonged at The Blue Banana.

Please tell me you know The Blue Banana. You know, the club from Pretty Woman?

We aren’t going to talk today about how to dress for your body type (although maybe we should one day) but we are going to talk about the abundance of blueberries and bananas in my life at the moment.

As I put together today’s What I Ate Wednesday post, I realized that I have been eating a ton of fruit lately.

Some people shy away from fruit or limit their portions in fear of the sugar content. I am not one of those people.

Some days I do not want salads. Some days I do. Some days I do not want a ton of vegetables. Some days I do.

Some days I crave more protein. Some days I crave less.

I can’t force myself to eat something I am not in the mood to eat nor can I ignore a craving, especially a fruit craving. Why talk yourself out of fruit?

wiawphotobutton

Breakfast yesterday is about to look like it belonged in someone else’s kitchen.

pb banana toast

Like, who am I? I don’t know either but I woke up wanting nothing more than a toasted slice of cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread with a mixture of mashed banana and peanut butter (PB2 mixed with Crunch Time) with blueberries poked on top before my run.

I highly recommend mashing your banana into the peanut butter before spreading it.

If that wasn’t enough to confuse you, my blender has been making an appearance after my run.

smoothie mug

This mug contained my version of a smoothie, if we can even call it a smoothie.

I am the last person to ask about how to make a smoothie. I never measure anything, I don’t use protein powder, or almond milk (allergies!) or anything green.

All I did was blend up some frozen Very Cherry Berry Blend, a handful of fresh blueberries, a few frozen banana chunks, some cooked oatmeal for texture,  drop of skim milk and a spoonful of PB2.

I didn’t even add greek yogurt for the post-run protein boost. I wasn’t in the mood. I just wanted something thirst quenching, fruity, cold and slightly chewy.

When it was finished blending, I added in regular peanut butter for more chewable texture and ate it with a spoon.

very cherry blend

I found the Very Cherry Berry Blend in the back of my freezer. Can we talk about my freezer for a minute?

freezer

You may have already seen my organized mess of a freezer on instagram.

I was having problems with my refrigerator last week in that it wasn’t stay cold. The maintenance person told me my freezer was overloaded which was causing an issue somehow with the temperature.

I don’t know that I believe my overload of frozen vegetables has been causing the appliance issue but since then, I have been trying to use up the food in the freezer and I found the bag of Very Cherry Berry Blend wedged in the back. I like saying very cherry berry over and over but don’t really like to keep typing it.

I know you are wondering if I am still using the Fruit Infusion Pitcher and what fruits are in the center cylinder this week.

fruit infusion pitcher

This week I layered blueberries and lemon slices with cucumbers on top just because I was eating them while I filled the pitcher.

I don’t know that the cucumbers go with the mixture but it’s my pitcher so I can do what I want.

cucumbers and hummus

I don’t love hummus but it goes nice with cucumbers as a snack.

I really try to limit my Red Mango lunch parfaits to the weekends but having a gift card has given me an excuse to go more often.

red mango parfait

Layers of original and strawberry greek yogurt with blueberries, strawberries, Nature’s Path Pumpkin Flax granola and dark chocolate chips.

Perfect lunch, don’t you think?

Remember last week when I was craving corn? I actually made one of the recipes I mentioned for dinner.

quinoa-dinner

The recipe for Sweet Corn and Quinoa with honey lemon vinaigrette was super easy and I followed it pretty closely. I just added in extra vegetables (from the freezer!) and avocado to round it out as a meal.

I highly recommend it. It has a nice light flavor which is perfect for summer when you don’t feel like something too heavy.

You would think that come dessert time, I am tired of fruit. Not the case this week.

fruit

I haven’t been eating too many apples with peanut butter but bowls of berries and bananas with peanut butter, that’s another story.

dessert

With whipped cream on top. It’s so simple and perfect.

I absolutely refill the bowl. How could you not?

I keep thinking that I should bake up something with all of my berries but sometimes it’s just not necessary to put in the extra work and get all fancy like that.

I am off now for another sweaty summer run. Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

****************

Is your freezer organized, an organized mess or crazy stuffed like mine?

Do you eat according to your cravings or force yourself to eat based upon the nutrients you feel you should consume at each meal?

Do you eat the same breakfast everyday or routinely switch it up?

{ 28 comments… add one }

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables June 18, 2014, 6:59 am

I’m a fruitaholic, too! Especially in the summer when so many good fruits are in season. I can’t help it!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe June 18, 2014, 7:05 am

My freezer is organized chaos. Things have a place that they go, but once they get to their zone, it is a free-for-all.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Recent Chicago Restaurant Successes and Server Fails #WIAWMy Profile

• Heather @ PrettyHealthyMostoftheTime June 18, 2014, 7:56 am

I wil never understand people limiting their fruit. Limiting their chocolate …maybe (but don’t tell anyone I said that).
    I eat the same thing for breakfast at least 5 times a week. The goole ole’ apples with peanut or almond butter combo. My husband actually made a comment about the ridiculous number of nut butter jars in the pantry. I need to find that old picture that you posted of your pantry. Yours put mine to shame!
    Heather @ PrettyHealthyMostoftheTime recently posted…WIAW #12: Anniversary EditionMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 18, 2014, 8:51 am

I’m not so good with the “eat according to the nutrients” thing… maybe because I used to base all my meals around that idea, never ate anything I truly wanted, and promised myself I’d never do that again. Talk about an unsatisfying way to live. I mean, I know they say that proteins and fats are supposed to keep you satiated and energized, but honestly? Sometimes I find that eating a bowl of ice cream keeps me satisfied longer than something like an egg and a few nuts. And if we’re being really honest, some of my best workouts and bursts of creativity have been fuelled by sugar. Oops?
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW … just because i felt like it .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 18, 2014, 11:10 am

I tend to find that as long as I eat what I am in the mood for, I will be way more satisfied than if I force myself to eat a more balanced plate. If I am craving sweet, a peanut butter sandwich or frozen yogurt is going to satisfy me way better than a salad. And, if I go with the salad instead, I will probably make the sandwich after anyway.

• Carmy June 18, 2014, 8:58 am

I’m so jealous of your blueberries! Haha. That fruit infuser thing seriously looks so cool. After your post on it and seeing it mentioned on your other posts is making me really want to try it out!
    Carmy recently posted…WIAW! #1!!!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 18, 2014, 11:08 am

I recommend it. If my son loves it, you know it is good.

• Carmy June 18, 2014, 12:04 pm

LOL! That’s actually how I gage a lot of things. Since I’m a picky eater, if it passes the “kids love the taste” test, I’m down to try it haha
        Carmy recently posted…WIAW! #1!!!My Profile

• Kaitlin June 18, 2014, 9:42 am

Oh my, the cherry blend at TJ’s is MY FAV!! The problem with me is that I feel like i need to eat a balanced meal even if I’ve stuffed my face with snacks. It’s like the joke around the holidays – you should eat a handful of almonds and apple before a cocktail party to avoid snacking. But really I’ll eat all the snacks and that apple and almonds ;)
    Kaitlin recently posted…Bringing Home the BaconMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 18, 2014, 11:06 am

Haha – I am so the same way. I will eat before the party but totally go for the good stuff anyway.

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven June 18, 2014, 9:57 am

your suggestion to mash the pb and banana is straight up life-changing! How have I never thought of that?! Genius.
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Apricot & Edamame Quinoa SaladMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 18, 2014, 11:05 am

You know I am honored that you find my mashing of pb and banana genius, right? Totally honored. But yeah, try it – it is so good and easy to spread and then you don’t have banana slices sitting on top to deal with biting. Although I guess you can always add them anyway.

• Jaclyn @ BumpSweat June 18, 2014, 11:12 am

My freezer is currently an organized mess in need of a makeover. Especially since I plan to make a bunch of freezer meals before baby comes. Hopefully then it can stay somewhat organized, but knowing myself, that probably won’t be the case.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…30-Week BumpdateMy Profile

• Aurora@Fitness is Sweet June 18, 2014, 12:15 pm

I definitely agree with not limiting fruit-it has so much fiber that the sugar really isn’t a concern! And with all the summer produce-how can you limit it? It’s just so good!

• Sam @ The Running Graduate June 18, 2014, 2:10 pm

My freezer looks a lot like yours does! Being an on-the-go student means I eat a lot of frozen vegetables and meats. I tend to eat whatever I’m craving, but I tend to make sure I get a variety of nutrients the nights before big tests or long runs.
    I’m the same way when it comes to smoothies – I don’t add protein powder or any of that fancy stuff. Just ice, fruit, and yogurt for me!
    Sam @ The Running Graduate recently posted…Weekly Craft Beer #3!My Profile

• Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 18, 2014, 2:56 pm

My freezer evolves… sometimes it’s so packed I can’t hardly close it, but then I force myself to work through it. It’s a rough life!

I am like you on the eats – fruit is good. Veggies are good. Protein is always good. I just listen to my body. In the summer, fruits are definitely more prevalent!
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Enjoying a Routine + WIAWMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 19, 2014, 8:19 am

Fruit is just a must in the summer months. Totally quenches my thirst well beyond water. Nothing like watermelon after a sweaty run.

• Katie G June 18, 2014, 4:23 pm

Ahhhh fear not..my freezer is a serious mess also – But hey..if I route around enough I can find some dinner :)
    I tend to follow my craving’s, if I tend to avoid something (like more fruit) I’ll often crave it more the next day and I feel feeding my body what I fancy will prevent crazy binges..
    Plus..berries and peanut butter..you just can’t go wrong! :)
    Katie G recently posted…WIAW: ‘Saturdays are for stuffing my face..’My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 19, 2014, 8:18 am

Exactly. If we avoid the foods we truly want, it will only lead to a binge or eating more than if we just ate what we wanted in the first place. As soon as I have a real craving (like corn last week) I added it to my meals until the craving went away. I am always amused by what I randomly crave.

• Leigha @ Minougirl June 18, 2014, 4:37 pm

That quinoa looks sooo yummy! And so does the pb/banana mash. Omg yum! Going to try that soon!! i definitely don’t worry about eating too much fruit – isn’t is basically natures candy? And don’t worry about the freezer. Oh my gosh mine is terrible!!
    Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted…To Grandmother’s House We GoMy Profile

• Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome June 18, 2014, 9:02 pm

I’ve been thinking about getting one of those fruit fussions. I eat so much fruit during the summer! Then I wonder why I gain weight… It’s just so good!

• Miss Polkadot June 19, 2014, 5:02 am

You might be the last person to ask about how to make a smoothie but you’d be the first I’d let prepare a smoothie for me. Because it fits the criteria of a) nothing green, b) cooked oatmeal as a base [= something to chew] and c) spoonable. None of that slurpy green nonsense for me.
    Eating for the nutrients? In my dreams. No, honestly not. The only time I will ‘force’ myself to eat something I might not be craving at that very moment are packed lunches at work. There’s always a time when something sounded good the night before but doesn’t hit the spot come lunch time. It happens.
    And about the freezer? This is ridiculous given my ‘freezer’ is really just a shoe box-sized department of my fridge but yes, I manage to overstuff even that. I can’t say I was complaining about the hidden bag of edamame I found in its bag recently, though.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…The Two Thumbs Up Edition [Thinking out loud]My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 19, 2014, 8:13 am

Oh how I relate to the packed lunches for work when they sound really good at the time but when it comes time to eating it, you don’t want it or even worse, doesn’t leave you full or satisfied. I use to stress the lunch packing so often because I always wanted to make sure I would want what I was packing but that isn’t all that easy to do!