Running Recap And Linda’s Fudge Cake

Oh hello. Good Sunday morning to you.

Before I say another word, Red Mango shared my instagram photo from the other day on their facebook page.

red mago cups

I feel so famous and honored and happy that I won’t even mention once again how upset I am about Red Mango raising their prices to the point where my weekly parfait is starting to cost more than my favorite salad at The Cheesecake Factory.

cheesecake factory salad

Oh yes, I certainly had this salad last night. It is so simple yet just the best combination of ingredients that I will never get enough. It is also the perfect throw together summertime meal that I have every intention of making it at least one night this week for dinner.

birthday mud pie

No no, you didn’t miss my birthday just yet. I just like to start celebrating a few days in advance.

I mean, I never turn down the opportunity for Linda’s Fudge Cake covered in ice cream, whipped cream, hot fudge and chocolate chips but when you are only six days away from your birthday, you make sure the waiter knows so you receive special treatment in the form of pretty sprinkles, a birthday message written in fudge and a cherry on top.

Truth be told, I really needed that dessert last night.

running shadow

My long run yesterday was glorious in terms of the weather and comfortable in terms of apparel (you need the Nike skirt) but my legs were slightly tired.

I only say slightly because overall I felt great but I did notice right away a behind-the-scenes fatigue. As I should.

This was a high mileage week mainly because the weather each morning was just too nice for me to resist.

Monday – 6.50 miles

Tuesday – 6 miles

Wednesday – light elliptical cross-train

Thursday – 7 miles

Friday – 6 miles

Saturday – 13 miles

Almost forgetting the ten-mile race last Sunday. Yikes.

I have reached the point in my routine where I rarely feel the after effects of my long runs. I can usually dilly dally around town during the day and night but by the time I sat down for dinner last night, I felt it. Just that overall tired and achy feeling.

Until I ate dessert. Suddenly I felt so much better. I got up from the table to walk to the car and I swear to you my body felt rejuvenated.

I know I often say how important a nutrient-dense diet is for your health and your running but I truly believe in moderation which includes your favorite foods. For me it is dessert, especially Linda’s Fudge Cake done up sundae style.

There is something about a giant slab of chocolate fudge cake and ice cream that does the body good.

We are off to the beach this morning, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

****

Do you keep track of your mileage?

Favorite indulgences after a long run?

Do you let the waiters sing happy birthday to you at restaurants?

• Susie @ Suzlyfe June 1, 2014, 7:17 am

I definitely keep track of mileage, but I also think it is so so important to go by feel. There are times when my legs are really feeling an 8 mile in a lower distance week, or a 4 mile in a high distance week. I like the feeling of accomplishment of hitting those higher mileage weeks, but I have also learned the hard way that hitting high mileage just for the sake of hitting it isn’t worth it. One of my post long run indulgences is a trip to a gourmet salad/hot bar, where I LOAD UP. Also Froyo, or a frappuccino. And it isn’t that I don’t allow myself these things from time to time anyway, but it is more of a mission post long run
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…A Vacation from MedicineMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner June 1, 2014, 7:23 am

That cake though. OMG I need it. I’d say long runs and an early birthday equal allllll the desserts. I need cake. Right now. That’s all I can think about. No happy birthdays at restaurants for me, but my friends like to pretend it’s my birthday to make fun of me and get free food. I don’t appreciate it.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…My arms hurtMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 2, 2014, 9:57 am

I have been known to fake some birthdays in restaurants for friends as well..

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven June 1, 2014, 9:25 am

coming from a non-chocolate girl, Linda’s fudge cake is one of the best cakes I have EVER eaten. I ate a whole piece by myself once. I was kind of sick to my stomach after but it was SO worth it. Happy early bday gorgeous!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 2, 2014, 9:56 am

I can’t get enough fudge cake – the richer the better. Most people can’t tolerate too much chocolate but when it comes to chocolate cake, ganache and fudge frostings, the more the better. Except chocolate ice cream, can’t handle too much of that.

• Carmy June 1, 2014, 4:38 pm

I track my mileage via Dailymile. I like celebrating my birthday all week long haha. My birthday week = eating out every day “celebrating” and having fun haha (and by fun I mean running LOL). I think waiters singing happy birthday is awkward mainly because I have no idea what to do when everyone is singing! Do I sing along? Do I clap along? Do I just awkwardly sit there?!
    Carmy recently posted…Race Report: MEC 15kMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 2, 2014, 9:54 am

Hahaha this totally made me laugh – I agree! It’s awkward when the waiters sing especially when they don’t know your name and don’t know what to say in it’s place!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 1, 2014, 5:27 pm

Hope you’re having the most amazing time at the beach! The weather’s been glorious here too, but I’ve been stuck working. Womp, womp. And as big of an advocate as I am of eating healthy, I’ll never, ever, EVER recommend turning down dessert. Ever. This probably isn’t the best thing for me to say, but I’ve definitely noticed an improvement in a lot of areas of my health when I started eating things like ice cream and candy on a regular basis. In fact, some of the best workouts and recoveries I’ve ever had coincided with a good dessert :mrgreen:
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 6/1 .My Profile

• Heather @ PrettyHealthyMostoftheTime June 1, 2014, 9:50 pm

Haha there’s not much to keep track of when it comes to my mileage! I do run a little but every weekend though. When it’s cool out I love having warm oatmeal waiting for me! On warmer days I want nothing to do with food post run. Then later that day, I almost always end up with ice cream!
    Heather @ PrettyHealthyMostoftheTime recently posted…The Blogger/Runner CorrelationMy Profile

• lindsay Cotter June 2, 2014, 7:25 am

i love that you are celebrating early!! so important!! and yay for beach time. Hope it was relaxing!

Next post: