WIAW – Finally Used My Frozen Bananas

My little baby may be a big shot at the current age of ten but when he is asleep in the backseat of my car, he looks just like he did when he was a toddler.

benji sleeping

I used to drive around in circles back then just to get him to sleep since he refused to nap in the house.

It was fine with me because I made the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru a destination on a daily basis.

wiawphotobutton

Breakfast:

Be still my beating heart – that little baby of mine keeps asking for bowls of oatmeal for breakfast.

Not packets of sugared instant oatmeal but the oatmeal I make- you know, with steel-cut oats, old-fashioned oats and chia seeds.

oatmeal with strawberries

Granted, he thinks I add sugar but the sweetness he tastes comes from the bananas, strawberries and spoonful of Mighty Maple and/or Crunch Time peanut butter that I mix in.

And I really don’t want to jinx it but lately he has even been enjoying greek yogurt. Let’s not talk about it just yet and see how long it lasts. If he is still asking for the greek yogurt next week, it will be safe to discuss.

As for me, it’s the same old same old in the morning.

oatmeal in a mug

If I don’t have an empty jar, I feel the need to get fancy and eat my oatmeal/yogurt/berries/peanut butter from a mug. Don’t ask me why I can’t use traditional serving items for this breakfast.

oatmeal in mug

I love my yogurt store spoons. In fact, they make great coffee grounds scoopers. I leave one inside each bag of coffee.

One thing I have been doing differently though to my breakfast is that I have been adding some salt to my oatmeal.

Amanda has been telling me to do so for quite some time and I finally listened last week. With the weather turning warmer, my outdoor runs are becoming sweatier. The addition of salt helps to keep the electrolytes in balance which is super important for me because I am always in need of sodium which can be lost through sweat.

sea salt

I am actually supposed to consume more salt on a regular basis since I have low blood pressure (salt contains sodium which will increase your blood volume and thus raise your blood pressure) but you know me, I am sweet tooth and don’t care for salty foods at all.

I can’t complain though about the pinch of salt in my oatmeal – it is rather tasty.

Lunch:

Lunch is my favorite meal of the day lately. I am still mashing up the chick peas with avocado and have been placing a nice big scoop of it on top of a simple salad (romaine, plum tomatoes, avocado, roasted Brussels sprouts) with diced up sweet potato wedges.

chick-pea-avocado salad

The chick pea/avocado mash is almost like chicken salad without the chicken.

You really must try it. It is just too simple to make for you not to try it. Remember, you all you have to do is mash some chick peas with some avocado. I add a drop of Dijon mustard and sometimes some pepper but I swear it really needs nothing.

This lunch works well prepared in advance but can be thrown together within five minutes. If you don’t have roasted/wedged/cooked sweet potatoes already on hand (cooked sweet potatoes store great in the refrigerator!) just throw one in the microwave for a few minutes.

Don’t let the potato get too cooked or too soft (I usually set the microwave on the potato setting and stop it with about three minutes left), just soft enough so that it is not only edible but can be cut up into wedges.

If you have a few minutes to place them under the broiler to quickly roast them, great. If not because you are starving like me, skip the roasting and just add them to your salad.

They are still tasty regardless.

Dinner:

Last night my son had a friend over after school so I opted to be fun and order pizza for dinner.

pizza

Yes, I totally wanted to whip out a whole wheat dough from Trader Joe’s and make them a pizza myself or even better, let them do it for fun but it seems that ten-year-olds are too cool for that sort of nonsense.

Dessert:

I have put myself on a mission to try out a recipe a week from the Happy Herbivore cookbook I won from Hannah’s blog back in the winter.

IMG_4059

I actually love being old school and looking through a good cookbook. The Happy Herbivore in particular is one of my favorites. I love the photos, the variety of recipes and the simplicity of the creations.

I thought I wouldn’t get around to any of the recipes I bookmarked this week but it turns out, an old favorite of mine that I haven’t made in a while but have been meaning to make is also listed in the book.

banana ice cream

I have been wanting to blend up my frozen bananas into banana ice cream for a while now. It’s been on my mind for quite some time yet when it would come time for dessert, I wasn’t in the mood.

frozen bananas

I am so glad I finally did it.

banana ice cream with chocolate chips and whipped cream

All I did was blend the bananas that I had in the freezer with about three tablespoons of PB2. I didn’t add milk because I never used to although the recipe in The Happy Herbivore mentions the addition of milk as well as cinnamon and vanilla. Maybe next time?

The real trick though is to place the freshly blended ice cream back in the freezer to let it set so that it forms up like a fresh scoop of ice cream.

Of course you can eat it straight from the blender like soft serve but I much prefer it chilled a bit longer.

I then added mini chocolate chips and a dollop of whipped cream. The PB2 added so much flavor that even I didn’t feel the need for extra peanut butter.

My plan is to blend up a bunch of frozen bananas (once the ones on my counter become overripe) and store a few servings in the freezer so I don’t have to take out the blender on a nightly basis.

I wonder what everyone else in the What I Ate Wednesday link-up is eating this week- let’s go check it out!

Do you add salt to your food?

What do you do with your frozen bananas- smoothies or ice cream?

Do you still use an actual cookbook or do you prefer strictly online recipes? Which cookbook is your favorite?

• Arman @ thebigmansworld May 28, 2014, 6:09 am

I always eat oatmeal with the sea salt shaker next to me- it is amazing. In fact, I reckon you may be a fan of my recipe I have on Friday 😉

I kinda feel bad that I never use cookbooks anymore- Either online or just being random in the kitchen!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…butter cravingsMy Profile

• Heather @ PrettyHealthyMostoftheTime May 28, 2014, 7:44 am

That picture of your son is just too cute. He’s going to be pleased with that one 🙂
    I always salt my food when I cook, probably too much! I LOVE using real cookbooks. The majority of my recipes come from websites but I have each of those bloggers’ cookbooks in print as well. There’s just something about turning the pages that makes me happy.
    Heather @ PrettyHealthyMostoftheTime recently posted…WIAW #9 Give Me All the Chocolate!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 28, 2014, 10:02 am

I totally hear you – I am happy to flip through an old=fashioned cookbook even though I pin my favorite bloggers recipes all of the time.

• Carmy May 28, 2014, 7:46 am

Your lunch looks delicious! And the things you do for love! I can’t believe you drove til he fell asleep!
    Carmy recently posted…Why You Should Get Rolling!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 28, 2014, 12:20 pm

It was either I drive until he fell asleep or dealt with a cranky little baby. Even worse? He would wake up as soon as the car started moving. Ah the memories…

• Susie @ Suzlyfe May 28, 2014, 7:52 am

I add salt to my food to heighten the flavor, but I don’t douse it, like some people do. Also, I’m not a sports drink person, so I figure it isn’t going to hurt me. I even add just a bit of salt to my ice cream–especially when you are eating so much of everything, it keep it from just being a rote exercise but maintains it as a real treat for your palate.
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…My Food Doesn’t Do Quiet Either #WIAWMy Profile

• The Zen Kat May 28, 2014, 7:57 am

Good idea adding chocolate chips to your banana ice cream. I tried the recipe and wasn’t a fan, but my sweet tooth probably expected 2 cups of sugar swimming in the ice cream, haha 🙂

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 28, 2014, 10:11 am

Try adding the PB2 or peanut butter. It was really really good even for a dessert lover like me.

• Tina Muir May 28, 2014, 8:10 am

I wish I used recipe books more. I have a lot of them, but always forget, or like to make my own dishes. With all this eating out, I dont think I will be cooking at all in the next month! Great idea with the PB2. I definitely love my frozen bananas in smoothies! Yum, and SO refreshing after a run!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: Sweet Potato and Goats Cheese Mushroom CapsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 28, 2014, 10:11 am

I never want a smoothie because I like to chew which must be why I added the chocolate chips to the mix. So good.

• Jaclyn @ BumpSweat May 28, 2014, 8:29 am

We use our frozen bananas for smoothies. I tried the ice cream one time, and it was delicious, but I never think to do that. I’ve found that adding salt to sweet food actually makes the sweetness come out stronger.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…10 Lessons Learned Exercising Through the 2nd Trimester of PregnancyMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 28, 2014, 10:08 am

I love to add sea salt when I bake chocolate chip cookies…I also never think about the banana ice cream but I am glad I remembered to make it again. So good especially with the chocolate chips.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 28, 2014, 9:51 am

But see salt can TOTALLY cater to the sweet tooth as eel! Especially since a pinch of it added to sweeter foods totally brings out the sweetness even more. Like adding salt to watermelon is amaaaazing. And bananas with nut butter and pinch of salt is heaven. I can’t go without my salt, and I definitely notice myself being a lot more thirsty when I don’t eat enough of it. As for bananas… most of mine go into smoothies. I used to make banana ice cream on a pretty regular basis, but then I just switched to ice cream 😆
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW … you’ve been replaced .My Profile

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven May 28, 2014, 10:57 am

I have super low BP too and I always add salt to my sweets! I like the sweet and salty combo and I’m convinced it’s good for me 😉
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…{The New YP App} Meet Your NeighbourhoodMy Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 28, 2014, 12:55 pm

I LOVE banana ice cream and I am SO glad that you have been enjoying the cookbook!! P.S. That pizza looks amaaaazing! There is just nothing like delivery cheese pizza 🙂
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…WIAW: May 28, 2014 (Recent Eats) + Giveaway WinnersMy Profile

• Kim May 28, 2014, 5:14 pm

I love cookbooks – in fact, I have an out of control collection of them!!!
    I usually pick a different book each time I meal plan (about every 2-3 weeks) and cook out of it – I rarely make the exact same thing (other than a few standbys) more than once.
    Kim recently posted…Sometimes Sore Is Good…My Profile

• Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan May 28, 2014, 5:18 pm

Lunch would be my favorite meal of the day too if I was eating that delicious bowl of goodness. Ummm, YUM!! And also, frozen bananas = the way to go, always. Serious key to my heart (and probably to that adorable little boy of yours’ heart, too)!!
    Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: Hamptons StyleMy Profile

• GiGi Eats May 28, 2014, 10:54 pm

I cannot eat bananas but I want to try this ice cream trick with butternut squash or pumpkin! 🙂
    GiGi Eats recently posted…The Ryan Jolie SmoothieMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 29, 2014, 12:54 pm

I know I have read sweet potato ice cream recipes, totally try it with the pumpkin or squash, I bet it would be yummy.