Mother’s Day & Crumbs Cupcakes

I know you are wondering where we ended up yesterday morning for our annual Mother’s Day breakfast tradition.

I laugh that we actually contemplated switching up our breakfast spot this year. We talk a good game but when it comes down to it, we still arrived at the Premiere Diner bright and early, right on schedule.

They have such an extensive breakfast menu making it hard to narrow down exactly what you want.

The last few years I have been going with the whole wheat blueberry pancakes but this year it was all about the baked oatmeal served

with warm skim milk on the side.

breakfast at the diner

Loaded with cooked fruits, raisins, cranberries and walnuts, it is so delicious like a crumbled oat muffin that deserves a close-up shot. baked oatmeal from the diner

I don’t advise running after consuming such a large bowl of baked oatmeal with cups of coffee but a few miles in the warm sunshine weren’t too terrible.

This might as well be a What I Ate Wednesday post since my idea of a recap is told in food. red mango parfait

I am not having the best Red Mango luck these days. As beautiful as my lunch parfait appears, they were out of blueberries.

What the heck with the blueberries this year? Geez.

I did see in the store circulars for this week that the Target stores in my area have the blueberry pints on sale for three dollars so now the question is will they have any decent containers left when I get there later today.

We ended up at the mall for a bit where Lulu Lemon was celebrating Mother’s Day with a chocolate fountain.

chocolate-fountain

I was checking out the running shorts but not so thrilled with any of them. More on this in a future post.

I know I said I didn’t want to cook for the holiday but since my dad was barbecuing, I figured I could easily whip up some oven baked French fries and roasted vegetables.

oven baked french fries

This time around I did the whole place the potatoes in ice water before you season them in order to make the fries cook up extra crispy thing.

preparing baked french fries

It worked.

oven baked french fries

I really wanted to capture some good pictures from dinner but that’s really never simple when you have my son grabbing food like a man who hasn’t eaten in two hours combined with making fun of me for taking pictures of food.

The quick shot of the pile of French fries is a bit blurry but it was so big and pretty in the bowl that I feel the need to share it with you anyway.

oven baked french fries

I said last night that dinner will always just be my pathway to dessert. crumbs cupcakes

Oh yes. I am back to craving Crumbs cupcakes.

I used to eat frequent Crumbs as often as I haunt Red Mango and Cold Stone Creamery but then over the last few years, I simply stopped craving cupcakes.

crumbs cupcakes

It is not always easy making the selection but we went with the Rainbow Cookie, Blackout, Oreo and Fudge Brownie. rainbow cookie cupcake

My son actually let me have a taste of his Rainbow Cookie Cupcake and it was delicious.

A chocolate fudge frosting and a jelly filling just like the flavors of a true rainbow cookie. Just heavenly if you want to know the truth.

And, while we are speaking the truth, I will tell you that I seldom deviate from my favorite cupcake of choice despite the decadent selection displayed in the cases.

fudge brownie cupcake

It doesn’t matter how many new cupcake combinations Crumbs comes out with, the Chocolate Fudge Brownie Cupcake filled and frosted with thick chocolate fudge topped with a brownie chunk will always be mine.

I don’t like to take the chance that I am disappointed with dessert. It may sound funny to you but if I am going to eat it, I better enjoy it.

That’s the thing – enjoying what you eat.

Sometimes I think people hold too tight to their diet plans and don’t allow themselves the opportunity to enjoy the foods they love.

It upsets me when I speak to friends or read about other people on these challenges that keep them from their favorites for 30 days, 90 days or the rest of their lives.

One meal, one dessert, one drink, one weekend of eating what you love is not going to do you in. It is what you do the majority of the time that matters.

*************************

Best thing you ate yesterday?

Favorite Crumbs cupcake?

Which do you prefer  – Strawberries or blueberries?

• Tina Muir May 12, 2014, 7:02 am

Agh Meri! Now you made me want a cuppppcccaaakkkee! Those look so amazing! I have not had a giant store bought cupcake in a while now. I need to change that asap! I used to always get a cake batter one from a Bakery called Mollys in Chicago, it even had cake batter in the middle, was sooooo good!

Best thing i ate yesterday was a chipotle, guacamole, onion strips burger…..hey, I run it off 😛 Have a great monday!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: Hearty Strawberry Shortcake Oatmeal PancakesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2014, 11:18 am

I hadn’t had a cupcake in a while either, it was heavenly lol…I first read your comment as you had chipotle, as in the restaurant lol. Which by the way, I haven’t had in quite a while!

• Susie @ Suzlyfe May 12, 2014, 8:01 am

HOLY BALLS you ate well this weekend! Hahaha and Happy Belated Mother’s Day! I think that I would pick blueberries over strawberries, at least at the moment, but that is also because I am liking deeper flavors these days as opposed to lighter ones. I also love how blueberries pop in your mouth when they are heated in pancakes and such. mmmmm That chocolate cupcake is insanity. I’m glad that Red Mango is back in your good graces 😀
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…Spring Does Exist #MIMMMy Profile

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables May 12, 2014, 8:23 am

I need to try that whole potatoes in the ice water thing! I didn’t know that!

I’ve only had crumbs once but it was so good! One of our agencies brought in the cupcakes form New York to Richmond!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2014, 11:20 am

Yes, definitely try soaking the potatoes quickly first. While my fries usually came out crisp, this definitely added serious crispness and didn’t take long for the crisp texture to occur.

• Sarah @pickyrunner May 12, 2014, 8:29 am

Sounds like a pretty great mother’s day to me 🙂 I have never had crumbs cupcakes but I NEED THEM NOW. Please. I haven’t been craving things like cupcakes lately. I haven’t been craving anything really. Sometimes crackers, sometimes grapes, sometimes carrots, but those are foods I eat every day. I think an ice cream craving will hit soon. I used to hold tight to my diet- not anymore, no way. I’m too happy with the way things are now.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Pump the BreaksMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2014, 11:21 am

OK so the next time you are passing through New York, maybe Crumbs is where we need to go. Actually, on 42nd street in the city, there is a Crumbs right next to the Cold Stone! I think that is our plan.

• Frank May 12, 2014, 10:20 am

Finished left-over roasted potato (sweet and white), turnip, butternut squash, carrot combo over brown rice.

Back in Saratoga Springs after Mother’s Day weekend in Deer Park to find it’s BoGO 6oz Fresh Blueberries at Price Chopper. I prefer them to strawberries for the ease of popping them into anything/quick snacking.

No Crumbs up here.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2014, 11:22 am

I prefer blueberries as well.

• Frank May 12, 2014, 7:17 pm

2 6oz packages of fresh blueberries for $3.99. How’s that?

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven May 12, 2014, 10:24 am

Crumbs is SO dangerous. I want to eat every single cupcake there. Also I always soak my potatoes first. It’s the only way to get em crispy and I don’t do non crispy potatoes 😉

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 12, 2014, 11:22 am

I only like my fries crispy. They usually got crisp without the soaking of the potatoes but I definitely noticed a difference yesterday.

• ashley @ Kick Ash Mom.com May 12, 2014, 11:00 am

I’ve never heard of crumb cupcakes but they look amazing. I almost got oatmeal for my mother’s day breakfast but for some crazy (Pregnancy) reason I was craving grits! So I got grits and blackberries. It was heaven.
    As for strawberries or blueberries… if they are fresh definitely strawberries. If it’s in something like pancakes, oatmeal, or muffins… blueberry all the way.
    ashley @ Kick Ash Mom.com recently posted…Happy Mothers DayMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 12, 2014, 11:35 am

You did the ice bath thing! I always wondered if that worked, but it seemed like too much extra effort to do for something I wasn’t sure about. Now that you mentioned it, though… I need to try it. Next time. And I’ll always choose blueberries over ALL other berries. And I’ll also never willingly give up dessert or the foods I love. I did that for years, and while it might have worked in the short run, it came back to bite me in the ass big time in the long run. Can we say eat ALL the chocolate, cupcakes, ice cream, and cookies? Yes… we can 😯
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 5/11 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 13, 2014, 8:44 am

The ice bath thing did crisp them up for sure. Usually when I make them without the ice bath, they do crisp but not the same and not as quickly.

• Shashi @ RunninSrilankan May 12, 2014, 1:29 pm

Stumbled by your blog today and I loved this post – yes to Crumbs chocolate fudge brownie cupcakes and running fueled by a huge breakfast and multiple cups of coffee!
    Happy belated mother’s day – from another single mom in Atlanta!!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 13, 2014, 8:43 am

Thank you! I hope you had a nice Mother’s Day as well! Crumbs cupcakes are delish, especially the fudge brownie…