Totally Thinking Out Loud

Total randomness coming your way….

Thinking-Out-Loud

1. I need a new book to read. Actually, I just need a book to read. I am not in reading mode and haven’t been for at least a year. Interesting actually since it wasn’t all that long ago that I was polishing off two to three novels a week.

the queen's fool

One of my all-time favorite novels. Love this historical romance series, you know, The Other Boleyn Girl?

I love a good historical romance novel as well as light-hearted chick-lit but picking up a book after not reading for a bit can be tough.

All I need is to get started with one. Once I am captured within the first few pages, I know I will be back to  bookworm status every evening.

I probably don’t need tell you that I still read from an actual book. Like with real pages. Maybe one day I will catch on to this Kindle type thing but for now, I will remain old-fashioned and go to the library.

Do you read? Books are great. They take you to another place and even when you think you are too tired to read, somehow a good book is relaxing and doesn’t make you feel like you are using your brain at all.

2. They say people only use about 10% of their brain’s true abilities or something like that. I believe it. I have no issue informing you that I like to think as little as possible.

Too much thinking especially when I don’t feel like thinking makes my brain hurt and sends me to the mall to window shop, take pictures of Prada bags I don’t need and eat Red Mango parfaits.

IMG_3306

I need this bag though. I always come back to it, it’s the perfect noncolor to go with everything. The expense needs multiple rational reasons so I am still working on the why-I-need-this-bag-list.

3. I didn’t make my bed until I was 23 and married. I didn’t see the point prior to then. I mean, you are just going to get back into it, right? So why make it?

This opinion of mine changed once I had my own home. I cannot leave the house without the bed made and certainly can’t function if my son’s bed is left a mess either.

unnamed (293)

Sometimes we risk running late for school just so I can make up his bed perfectly with all of the stuffed animals, pillows, blankets and corners tucked just so.

Certainly I could insist that the little boy make his own bed but I don’t want to give up the control of knowing that if I make it, it will be nice, neat and meet my bed making standards.

Knowing I left the house with made up beds makes me feel organized. His poor excuse for tucked corners will not keep me mentally sane.

I realize I may be creating a monster of a man who is used to having things done for him but that’s his future wife’s problem, not so much mine. Please don’t ever tell her about my blog.

By the way, I learned something new recently about duvet covers. Did you know there are hidden ties inside the duvet that will attach to your inner comforter in order to keep the whole thing from shifting around and making you extra crazy?

If you already knew this, why didn’t you tell me?

4. I know I said I have been watching my coffee intake but I need to keep up my Panera habit simply because I earned a free You Pick Two meal by using my Panera Rewards Card a few times this month when I chose to set up shop and work from one of their booths.

IMG_2838

I have yet to redeem my free lunch because I am so excited about it that I can’t give it up just yet.

It expires in two weeks. Please remind me to pick two and eat.

5. Organic Carrots of Many Colors are back at Trader Joe’s.

carrots of many colors

My only issue is that this bag is filled with only a few yellow carrots and a bunch of one-shaded orange carrots. Usually there is a mix of multiple shades of orange.

6. Taper week has been going along nice and taperly. Is taperly a word?

I had planned to run every other day this week but I actually haven’t run since Monday. I woke up yesterday morning feeling a big sluggish and not ready or even in the mood to run. So I didn’t. I lounged around on the elliptical machine instead.

7. I think I will run this morning. Maybe. Hmm. Terrific; now is not exactly the best time to be reaching that overtraining/burnout feeling where the desire to run has all but left the building.

Um hello, race on Sunday?!

****************

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

Matcha Green Tea powder winner to be announced tomorrow. Did you enter yet?

What books have you been loving lately?

Do you always make your bed? Duvet or regular comforter?

How do you like your carrots – raw, steamed or roasted? Carrot fries are the best!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 1, 2014, 7:15 am

I’ll be 30 next year and I have yet to make my own bed… and I even have my own home 😆 I’ll do it sometimes if I know that someone will be coming over, but if it’s family or close friends then I don’t really care. Too much effort.

And I’ve actually been devouring books lately. I got a stack… last week?… that I’m almost halfway through. I’d recommend some to you, but I’ve been into fantasy/dystopian/adventure books, which is a far stretch from historical romance 😛
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #76 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 1, 2014, 10:39 am

Yeah, my taste in books may be very different – I love that Historical Romance series but aside from that, I am all about chick-lit and light-hearted funny reads.

• EZTWINS May 1, 2014, 7:45 am

I love a good book. Finding the time has been challenging lately. My most recent great reads though have been Me Before You and Gone Girl. The Husbands Secret was good too.

I had NO idea that there are ties inside a duvet cover. Life changing. Thanks!

Carrot fries…. That’s one I should try!

You may just need that Prada bag. I will help you with the list.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 1, 2014, 10:39 am

Thank you for justifying the bag, it’s a perfect one, isn’t it? I don’t think I want to read the Husband’s Secret, just the title alone puts me off. Shocker lol.

• Susie @ Suzlyfe May 1, 2014, 8:23 am

Right now I am loving Andy Cohen’s Most Talkative–he’s the Exec Prod at Bravo, and he is smart as a whip, freaking hilarious, and just a good guy–I love his perspective and take on his crazy job. I like duvets because I like the option to change them out and to put the cover in the wash. My husband HATES duvets. Sucks for him 😀
    When are we going to get lunch together? I’ll share those carrots with you!
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…You’re gonna need sunglasses and SPF #thinkingoutloudMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 1, 2014, 10:37 am

I need to come to Chicago for lunch. Gino’s East has been calling my name for way too long.

• Sarah @pickyrunner May 1, 2014, 8:50 am

I never make my own bed. When I lived in a dorm room, I did, but I’m so lazy this year. Or maybe not lazy, but I just don’t have time. (I actually do have time to take 30 seconds to make my bed but we go back to the issue of being lazy). But the important question is how did I not know TJ’s sold multi-colored carrots? My favorite food. Mind-blown.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…This is HappinessMy Profile

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven May 1, 2014, 9:33 am

I agree on it being nice having the bed made, I just don’t want to be the one to do it 😉

The Other Boleyn Girl is one of my favs!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Shrimp and Mango GuacamoleMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 1, 2014, 10:33 am

Have you read any of the other books from The Other Boleyn Girl series? Queen’s Fool and The Virgin’s Lover were so memorable and terrific. Never thought I would get into a such a series but read them back in what, 2008? And still remember them.

• Lindsay May 1, 2014, 9:44 am

I read every night to fall asleep. The last 2 books I read were Gone Girl and Reconstructing Amelia. I wasn’t crazy about Gone Girl. I think there was too much hype so my expectations were really hight. I loved Reconstructing Amelia. It’s a good one if you like suspense-type books.
    I also did not make my bed ever until I got married. I had no choice, my husband likes everything to look perfect and in it’s place at all times. Because of him, I now can’t stand the sight of an un-maid bed. Of course, then my kids come home from school and use my bed as a trampoline and I have to make it all over again. I hate duvets because the it gets all messed up under the duvet cover and drives me nuts. But now, because of you, I know the secret so maybe I’ll try again since I have a bunch I don’t use.
    I love my carrots roasted or I like raw matchstick carrots in my salads. I actually can’t eat a salad without matchstick carrots. I need them for crunch.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 1, 2014, 10:32 am

Do you know how happy I am to hear that no one else knew about the ties located inside the duvet cover? I swear, it was lifechanging. I was so embarrassed in Pottery Barn when they told me. I was like, excuse me, my son’s bed has annoyed me since he was two years old, why didn’t anyone tell me this? I mean, I even got rid of my own duvet because I couldn’t deal with the shifting.

• Heather May 1, 2014, 10:04 am

I never make my bed. If people are coming over, I might straighten it up a bit. I still buy real books too! I keep hearing that I need to read Divergent so that’s on my list.
    Heather recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #4 Spider Guts and Ninja TurtlesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 1, 2014, 10:31 am

I can’t switch to reading from a computer screen. I like a book and a bookmark!

• Hilary May 1, 2014, 10:40 am

I used to make my bed every morning when I lived at my parents but once I get to college I just can’t anymore! I am going to get back in it and mess it up every night so what is the point! I do admit I make it every time I wash my sheets though haha
    Hilary recently posted…WIAW- New Things and RecipesMy Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 1, 2014, 12:56 pm

Haha! The bed making thought made me laugh. I am 26 and still never make my bed …except for after I wash my sheets. I still have that mentality of …”why make it if I am just going to get back in and nobody is going to see it?” 😉
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…The Secret to the Perfect Green SmoothieMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 2, 2014, 5:45 pm

That was always my mentality! In fact, some morning I question why I make my son’s bed since I barely walk in there to look at it made during the day lol.

• Kim May 1, 2014, 4:06 pm

I love to read and I love my Nook. I can take it on a trip and never run out of books!!!
    We have a comforter and I ALWAYS make the bed (even when I stay at a hotel) – I’m sort of anal!
    Kim recently posted…Home is the BEST!!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 2, 2014, 5:44 pm

Hmm. Not even I make the bed in a hotel. I do try to make it neat though before leaving the room!

• Arman @ thebigmansworld May 2, 2014, 6:34 am

You NEED to use that freebie- Panera is so yum!

Haha I love the non making of the bed….I never make mine unless I have company and even then it’s not properly done. Oh snap
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Persian Saffron ChickenMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 2, 2014, 5:44 pm

Panera is good and now they even have avocado – just no guacamole yet! I wonder if they would give a decent portion if they had it, lately their portion sizes are too small for what they charge.

• Lish May 2, 2014, 9:47 am

I am totally a bed maker….can’t get on with the day until I make it!

• Latisha October 1, 2014, 7:49 am

Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.

I will make certain to bookmark your blog and definitely
    will come back down the road. I want to encourage one to continue your great work,
    have a nice morning!