WIAW- Why Are Blueberries So Expensive?

Oh hello. It’s raining. And pouring. Thankfully, no one around my house is snoring. I have no patience for such a sound.

wiawphotobutton

Let’s take a look at what I have been eating this week. I changed up the usual format to keep things interesting…

Breakfast Lately:

unnamed (285)

Important things to note:

*I am still on oatmeal every morning; a bowl with fruit and peanut butter before my run and another bowl with a scoop of plain greek yogurt after my run.

*I splurged this week and bought the tiniest container of fresh blueberries. I can’t deal with the price of blueberries these days but couldn’t pass up this container because they looked so plump and fresh.

I am trying not to nibble on them as I assemble my breakfast just to make the blueberries last but who are we kidding? This little container is barely a handful.

Lunch Lately:

unnamed (286)

No surprise here. Either Red Mango parfaits (usually a weekend treat) or my favorite chick pea/avocado mash on Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Toast.

Nothing getting old here anytime soon.

Dinner Lately:

unnamed (287)

Top left – Cauliflower stir fry with chick peas, black beans, brown rice and avocado

Top right – My son’s dinner: chicken marinated in Island Soyaki with brown rice alongside the Chicken Shu Mai from Trader Joe’s

Bottom left – My son’s pizza made with whole wheat pizza dough along with sweet potato wedges cooked in the oven at the same time.

Bottom right – Plant-Based Power Bowl with sweet potato wedges, chick peas and avocado

Important things to note:

*I tend to mix fresh roasted vegetables with frozen vegetables every night. My stomach can sometimes have a hard time digesting too many vegetables, especially the fresh ones. Creating a balance between fresh vegetables and the frozen varieties solves this problem and gives me the best of both worlds.

*My son really liked the Chicken Shu Mai so I will be buying it again.

*The pizza and sweet potatoes were not served together in the above picture but my plan is to make a pizza topped with sweet potatoes in the next few days. I have used sweet potato in the past as a base ingredient for a crust but this time it is going on top. I love roasted butternut squash on pizza so why not sweet potatoes? Just may be the perfect pre-race dinner Saturday night.

Snacks:

snacks

I am not a huge snacker which may be why I often forget to include any mention of snackage in my posts. I nibble while I cook, I slice up carrots while I am in the kitchen and lately enjoy the mandarin oranges in the morning.

If I am truly hungry though, rather than snack I go with mini meals such as a slice of Ezekiel bread with peanut butter and fruit, apple slices with peanut butter or just declare it lunch or dinner time regardless of what the clock says.

On more than one occasion I have been known to eat my lunch by 11:00 am or dinner by 4:00 pm. This works for my every time and never leaves me any hungrier than if I would have waited until an “appropriate” dining hour.

Who says what’s appropriate anyway? I say go by your own clock and appetite.

Dessert:

I still love my usual nighttime desserts but Monday night, I needed something serious. Something big and delicious, something made for me exactly how I wanted it without any effort my part. Something that involved true chocolate and whipped cream and everything in between.

cold stone creamery sundae

I didn’t really care that it was Monday. Most people “get back on track” after the weekend and while that’s all fine and good, sometimes you need a treat and can’t go by the calendar.

My hungry days and cravings hit sometimes without true rhyme or reason and this week it occurred Sunday into Monday. I knew Monday afternoon that a serious dessert was in order to nip that hungry thing in the bud.

You can certainly try to fulfill the hunger with extra plates of dinner, extra servings of fruits, vegetables, spoons of peanut butter or larger than normal evening snacks but I find that getting a nice big sundae in a chocolate dipped waffle bowl will do the trick all in one shot without fail.

I went with Cold Stone Creamery’s new Cherry Vanilla yogurt which is simply amazing when combined with chocolate chips,  whipped cream, hot fudge and of course, the thickly coated chocolate dipped waffle bowl.

Not to mention, the chunks of real cherries make this the perfect runner’s recovery meal. I mean, cherries are known for their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties so I did my body good, don’t you think?

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating this week!

********************************

Which do you prefer  – fresh or frozen vegetables?

How expensive are the blueberries by you? When the heck will the good sales begin?

What do you eat to satisfy your hungry days?

• Arman @ thebigmansworld April 30, 2014, 6:22 am

Blueberries for $4.50 a punnet is considered on sale in Australia. Don’t even ask what their usual price is.

I may be your newest biggest fan…raisin toast with savoury toppings? Amazing.

I’m actually lol’ing to myself like an idiot right now because my favourite all time sandwich was
    a) from NYC
    b) from Duane Reade of all places
    c) Raisin walnut bread with chicken salad
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Sydney Eating with companyMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 30, 2014, 7:00 am

Haha – I have never had a sandwich from Duane Reade but maybe I need to stop in for one! I love sweet and savory. I can’t think of anything that wouldn’t work with cinnamon raisin bread.

• Tina Muir April 30, 2014, 7:46 am

Oh my, that cold stone dessert nearly made me lick the screen! That looks like heaven! YUM!!!!! I am loving red mango as a lunch too, I think I will copy your eats 😛

I cant wait till bluberries are cheap, I miss them a lot, but refuse to buy them at $4.99 for a tiny palet! Strawberries seem to be coming down in price, hopefully blueberries follow!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Guest Post: A Brand New Workout from Jessie Loves To RunMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 30, 2014, 10:30 am

I have been stocking up on strawberries for my son and myself to make up for the fact that I cannot get blueberries. The deals on the strawberries really have been decent which hopefully means the blueberry sales are on the way…Red Mango is the best lunch – you must make yourself a parfait!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 30, 2014, 7:58 am

I’m glad you decided to go with my Coldstone suggestion… even though I really wish you didn’t have to go flashing it around. Ugh. Looks delicious 😛 And I haven’t even glanced in the direction of blueberries lately because I know the price of them is just going to make me cry. Soon… soooooon the sales will come. Until them, I’m fine with frozen 😀

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 30, 2014, 10:28 am

I will always listen to you – my sundae was amazing ( I won’t rub it in anymore)…Frozen blueberries are fine but what do you think of frozen strawberries? I hate them!

• Susie @ Suzlyfe April 30, 2014, 8:21 am

Ugh, preach it. I’m over berries being $$$ or not that great. I’ve been buying frozen blueberries so that I can still enjoy them. But I’m just ready for a variety of fruit–I miss my peaches!!!
    On my hungry days, I do my best to both give in and wait it out–kind of bide my time a little bit and then if I’m still needing it, go for it. PS I love Cherry Vanilla ice cream–Breyers makes a fantastic all natural one that has the most incredible texture!
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…THAT Burger and We Like To Dip It Dip It #WIAWMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 30, 2014, 10:26 am

I have been making due with the frozen blueberries and even enjoy them but it’s just not the same lol…Hmm, I need to try that Breyers cherry vanilla. I never ever ever was one to pick a cherry vanilla flavor but lately I love it!

• Leigha @ Minougirl April 30, 2014, 8:58 am

You have some awesome meals!! I eat blueberries yearround because I pick them at my camp in the summer and freeze them 🙂
    Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted…Living a Double LifeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 30, 2014, 10:25 am

I try to freeze at the end of summer when the prices are terrific but I end up eating them all too quickly!

• Hilary April 30, 2014, 10:20 am

I never thought to mix fresh and frozen veggies! Thanks for the tip I will have to try this out next week! Makes sense too that way you don’t buy too much fresh veggies and let them go to waste 🙂
    Love your Monday idea! I agree when you want ice cream just go get it!
    Hilary recently posted…WIAW- New Things and RecipesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 30, 2014, 10:23 am

I always keep my freezer stuffed with frozen vegetables – never have to worry about them going bad, always work in a pinch and bulk up the plate of roasted vegetables without overpowering your stomach. Not to mention, they can be cheaper than the fresh!

• Marjorie April 30, 2014, 11:39 am

I am with you on the blueberries! And you will practically need to take out a second mortgage on your home for the organic ones. I have planted two blueberry bushes in my backyard, but the birds and squirrels get them! Another solution is buying frozen organic ones at Costco. They are good for smoothies, but I’ve still gotta break down and get the fresh ones this time of year. Pricey or not! Happy WIAW!
    Marjorie recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday 30 – On Weight WatchersMy Profile

• Heather April 30, 2014, 1:19 pm

I just bought some blueberries for $6! The only reason I did this is because I thought they were $3.50. You better bet I’ve been savoring each and every one! Ice cream is also my go to when I really need something! I’m jealous of yours right now!

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 30, 2014, 2:44 pm

I HATE how expensive blueberries are when they are out of season. It is almost torturous to walk by them at the grocery store and not be able to justify the price 🙁 One of these days here soon they will be in season and totally affordable!! I cannot wait for that day.
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…#WIAW: April 30, 2014 + Mexican Black-Eyed Pea and Barley Salad (Vegan)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 1, 2014, 10:40 am

Totally feel your pain – walking past them and having to resist is not easy.