Best Baked Oatmeal I Ever Ate and Weekend Highlights

Oh hi. It’s Monday. Not that Monday means much since my son is still off from school.

Listen, I love my little bunny beyond anything but he is ten and too young to get a job therefore he belongs in school as often as possible to learn, socialize, become an upstanding citizen and, well, give me a break. bunny bowl Did you have a nice Easter? While I don’t celebrate Easter you may have caught my “bunny” reference because that has been my son’s nickname since he was a week old.

I adore Easter sales so that I can stock up on random bunny items like the above bowl I found at Home Goods.

Important things to note from my weekend:

1. My hormones were absolutely 100% to blame for last weekend’s race.

Okay, I know we have discussed this over and over but still in the back of mind I questioned it on some level. Until Saturday. Even with a few good runs during the week, I felt so completely normal during my long run on Saturday (13.1 miles, of course I was going to choose that specific distance) that I realized how not normal I was really feeling during the race last weekend.

Sometimes, you just don’t fully realize how off you are until you are on again. Make sense to anyone else?

2. The best thing I ate all weekend occurred in a bowl a few hours after my 13.1 mile run at my favorite diner.

baked oatmeal

baked oatmeal from Premiere Diner

Served with a side of skim milk, the oatmeal is baked up and loaded with various fruits such as apples, pears and/or peaches (depending upon the day) along with toasted walnuts and raisins.

It’s a cross between a bowl of oatmeal and a bowl of a mashed up muffin. You add the milk yourself which leaves you completely in control of how mushy you want your baked oatmeal to become.

The Premiere Diner makes one large batch of baked oatmeal a day and it is only listed in the Sunday breakfast menu but you can ask for it any other day of the week and hope that they have not run out. Stick with me, I know all sorts of restaurant secrets.

It is so beyond delicious that part of you wants to recreate it at home and the other part of you feels like your own version, as good as it may turn out, would never live up to this bowl so you just save it for when you dine out.

3. Everything in the world seems better and brighter after a great haircut and highlight session. haircut I am not the best at these selfies that are trending the internet but when your hair looks good, it makes up for your photography skills.

4.  Jewish people rarely have what to do on Christmas or Easter but at least in the Spring we have a few more options since the weather is nicer.

Citifield on Easter

Even though I am a Yankees fan, I have no issue taking my son to a Mets game, especially when it is gorgeous out. I also don’t mind Citifield because it is chock full of fun food options.

vegan pizza at citifield

I went with the Vegan pizza mainly because it was the only vegetable slice available. If you are wondering why it appears as though there is sauerkraut loaded up on top, it’s no mirage – that is absolutely sauerkraut.

I had a sudden craving for the kraut when we passed the condiments bar and since my son was loading up his hot dog (and side of hand cut special fries with dipping sauces), I couldn’t resist.

Let me say, it was terrific. It may be strange but if you are craving something and honor it, it always works out well.

sundae in Mets helmet

I wonder if anyone has gone around the country to every ballpark just to have a sundae in a helmet. I think it is on my bucket list.

How cool would it be to seek out and eat all of the stadium sundaes with hot fudge and sprinkles and then have the helmet to show for it?

So far I only have helmets from the Mets, Yankees and Islanders. I really need to take this show on the road.

Oh, and before I go, please look out for me to ensure this never becomes my motto:

IMG_3348

I am a mom you know. Just wearing a shirt like this would be semi-inappropriate. It’s like seeing your teacher outside of the school – they aren’t allowed to have an actual life.

Today is the Boston Marathon! Will you be watching? Sending good luck to all of our friends and blog friends running today!

******************

Best thing you ate all weekend?

Strangest but most delicious thing you ever craved and then ate?

What stadiums do you have sundae helmets from?

How many miles did you run this weekend?

• Tina Muir April 21, 2014, 6:53 am

I really need to try this baked oatmeal, I am seeing so many posts about it now, and it sounds great! Next weekend it is mine! I totally agree about the haircut thing, I need one bad….but not sure where to go, and I am scared it will be a disaster!

I ran 20 miles this weekend….and rewarded myself with carrot cake pancakes after 😛 I would say that was the best thing I ate all weekend, although i did have unlimited chocolate yesterday……so combined that was probably it 🙂
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: Carrot Cake Protein PancakesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 21, 2014, 8:16 am

Next time you find yourself on Long Island, especially when headed back out to Stony Brook, stop at the Premiere Diner (exit 52 off the LIE) and try the baked oatmeal. Totally worth it!

• Marina @ Lazy for Diet April 21, 2014, 7:21 am

Oh, ice cream in a hat! What cool idea. In the thirst for a collecting, I wouldn’t stop, yet didn’t bring together all 😀 And this baked oatmeal… I never ate it – my house experiences were unsuccessful. New incentive to try again 😉

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 21, 2014, 8:15 am

Any of my baked oatmeal attempts have never come out as good as when the diner makes it for me!

• Kaitlin April 21, 2014, 7:48 am

I totally have a thing for diners and have to say that oatmeal looks delicious. The mets game also looks like a blast! Hopefully it was warmer than our game on Friday!
    Kaitlin recently posted…Breaking the RulesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 21, 2014, 8:14 am

It was warm for most of the game since we were in the sun- I left at the 11th inning; it was getting too cold for me!

• Susie @ Suzlyfe April 21, 2014, 10:00 am

Mmmmmm sauerkraut is awesome. I’m totally a condiment stealer in those situations. Especially if you are paying a hilarious about for your food, you might as well enjoy the perks, right? I love ice cream helmets–but only have them from the Atlanta stadiums. I think my parents might have finally gotten rid of them, sadface. And I love your hair–get your hair done is one of my favorite things.
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…More than a Candy-fueled High #MIMMMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

My goodness do I agree- what they charge at ballparks and stadiums is just out of control. I usually bring my own food and definitely (including yesterday) sneak in my own bottles of water. Insanity.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 21, 2014, 2:31 pm

Ughhhh I don’t wanna think about what I ate this weekend. Let’s just say that I suck at resisting the Siren’s song of my mom’s cooking, and that my stomach is not a fan of traditional Polish food… I have a feeling that I’ll be wearing stretchy pants for the next week or so.

PS – Just need to tell you again that your hair is looking gorgeous! Now you need to get on me to go and get mine done. Eep.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 4/20 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 22, 2014, 3:27 pm

Aw thanks…Stretch pants are the best, especially in holiday food situations.

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 21, 2014, 3:17 pm

Saurerkraut is one of my current favorite pizza toppings! That looks SO good!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Sweet and Sour Chickpea Pizza (Vegan)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 22, 2014, 3:17 pm

Hahaha – I love that you put the sauerkraut on your pizza. I don’t know what came over me but it worked well and tasted great!

• Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures April 21, 2014, 8:25 pm

Ok you can never think too much about how you feel on a run! I am glad you got out and did another run and felt way more normal. Sometimes you just can’t do it and there is nothing wrong with that. 🙂
    Yes to collecting all those helmets – I never knew they were at all the stadiums! I can send you a Braves one if you want!! Ha!
    Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures recently posted…It’s Marathon Week!!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 22, 2014, 3:17 pm

I think I need to come down and get the Braves helmut sundae – you can meet me for one!

• Arman @ thebigmansworld April 22, 2014, 6:58 am

….you are a woman of your word….baked oatmeal from a diner! That looks so good- sort of like a breakfast crumble!

I once craved sardines on toast. For breakfast. After watching Narnia- the lion, the witch and the wardrobe. It was satisfied. 😉
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Mum’s Caramelised Onion and Eggplant DipMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 22, 2014, 3:16 pm

Totally like a breakfast crumble – perfect description. And that NY diner you mentioned opening by you – way overpriced. Although, it must follow the NY trend; the diners these days are a small fortune.