WIAW – Still Have A Thing For Oatmeal

I would tell you all about the six miles I ran on the treadmill yesterday but today is Wednesday and that means we talk food.

wiawloveyourveggiesmonthbutton2

Did you celebrate National Pancake Day yesterday?

I much prefer oatmeal over pancakes but the other morning I randomly decided to go back to my two-ingredient pancake (well, really three ingredient since I added blueberries).

IMG_2539

My flipping skills are clearly getting rusty.

The little boy was quick to remind me when he woke up yesterday of the pancake holiday.

I felt bad because we really didn’t have the time for whipping up fresh pancakes but he hounded me relentlessly before getting himself in the shower that even though he gave up and agreed to eggs, I made the quick decision to use my Kodiak Cakes mix and surprise him.

unnamed (48)

Mother of the year, right? I thought so too until he came out of the shower questioning why there was a big pancake topped with Mighty Maple peanut butter, chocolate chips, strawberries and syrup instead of a plate of eggs.

“Didn’t you hear me when I said I wanted eggs? Why didn’t you make eggs?”

Is he for real? Did he not just make me insane because he wanted pancakes?

Boys… Boys growing to be men….. Men… No further comment.

He ate the pancake plate but complained throughout the process. I could have ignored him but I just couldn’t let it go.

“One day you will appreciate me.  That’s right. One day you will call me on the phone to tell me how your wife doesn’t bake from scratch, doesn’t serve vegetables on a daily basis and rarely makes a home-cooked meal. You may even question why she can’t whip up pancakes in a moments notice. And when this happens, I promise to tell you I told you so.”

Thankfully I had already eaten or I would have really told him off. Considering he is my son, telling him off would not be the motherly thing to do.

I always eat breakfast bright and early, and sometimes, lunch occurs bright and early too.

I eat when I am hungry, even if that means lunch is happening when the clock barely reads 11:00 am.

unnamed (47)

Black beans, sweet potatoes, avocado and who knows what else but it looks like a lot of green.

I am a firm believer in eating according to your own internal clock versus the time displayed on your cell phone.

Does anyone even wear a watch anymore? And if you do, which clock do you look at first, the phone or your wrist?

Having lunch at 11:00 am the other morning made me happy. I was full and satisfied throughout the day, making no difference later on to my appetite. In fact, at 3:00 pm, I had forgotten how early I ate lunch, feeling no different than if I ate lunch at 1:00 pm.

I am also a firm believer in eating what you crave so when I craved oatmeal for lunch yesterday, even after having it pre and post run for breakfast, I listened to my body.

IMG_2558

I made a few servings so I would have extra bowls waiting for me in the refrigerator.

Blueberries cooked into oatmeal = genius. Except when the genius decides to pick all of the berries out to eat them before they even reach their respective bowls.

After lunch yesterday I stopped at Trader Joe’s to pick up a couple of necessities.

unnamed (56)

While everyone else is busy buying the new Oreo varieties, I am sticking with Joe-Joe’s.

My son was looking for the box of these Oreo-like cookies in the pantry the other night after surfing my Pinterest boards and locating a recipe that required crushed Oreos for dessert. Now that I have restocked us in the cookie department, maybe we will attempt the recipe this evening.

I also picked up another bag of the Sweet Potato Tots.

He won’t eat a true sweet potato but he will eat it in tot form. Baby steps.

quesadilla

I got a bit creative the other night and made him a barbeque chicken quesadilla using Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas, plain chicken, shredded cheese and a touch of barbeque sauce served with sweet potato tots on the side.

So easy to throw together, super quick to cook and most importantly, he loved it. I think I will post the actual recipe soon.

I am all about sweet potatoes lately, which really isn’t a new trend although they have been happening at both lunch and dinner more often than normal.

IMG_2555

Throwing everything into a big bowl makes me happy. Your guess is as good as mine in terms of what is in there besides the bright orange potatoes. Avocado for sure; I love avocado with sweet potatoes. Actually, I love avocado with just about everything.

If you didn’t already know, I really look forward to dessert.

IMG_2617

Since my kitchen is stocked with a wide variety of fresh fruit these days, I find myself picking at it straight from the refrigerator as well as adding it to meals, including dessert, whenever I can.

Last night for dessert I went with diced pink lady apple, cantaloupe and strawberries mixed with greek yogurt and a peanut butter variety show of Chocolate PB2, Mighty Maple and Crunch Time.

IMG_2618

And chocolate chips. Lots of chocolate chips.

Looking back over this post, I realize how many nibbles, extra servings and snacks really aren’t captured. Apple slices with peanut butter, cantaloupe and pineapple while I cut it up (more lands in my mouth than in the pyrex container), vegetables dipped in hummus and second servings at each meal happen each day.

Basically, I eat when I am hungry. No point in waiting for the next meal if your appetite is calling.

Be sure to check out the rest of the What I Ate Wednesday fun!

*********************************

Ever eat lunch super early?

Do you like the Chocolate PB2? I do, but I prefer the regular.

Favorite fruit to mix into your oatmeal?

• Tina@GottaRunNow March 5, 2014, 7:14 am

I like to eat lunch early when I’ve gotten up around 4:30. Oatmeal is good any time of day, especially if it has bananas, raisins and cinnamon in it.

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables March 5, 2014, 7:16 am

I love Kodiak cakes!!! They’re so good, and so surprisingly good for you. (They just taste so amazing I can’t believe they’re not bad for me haha.) And I don’t mind chocolate PB2 but I’m more of a fan of the regular 🙂

• Jen@Twenty-Something&Starving March 5, 2014, 9:06 am

I’m also quite fond of just eating when I’m hungry. It makes more sense than eating at any particular time! I’m all about bananas in my oatmeal…especially with peanut butter and some chocolate chips!!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 5, 2014, 10:01 am

The combo of peanut butter and chocolate chips with oatmeal, and banana, beyond amazing. Just beyond.

• D @ The Kosher Cave Girl March 5, 2014, 9:10 am

Oh yum! I hear you on the whole “men” thing. Whenever I try to surprise my fiancé with his favorite food, he gobbles it up, but goes on and on about how something else would have been just as fine, and how I didn’t need to go to all that trouble…. Oy.

I just whipped up a batch of maple almond butter, and I’m definitely going to spread it over fresh fruit tonight with a more than generous dollop of homemade coconut whipped cream and Enjoy Life choco chips. Yummmm.

• Davida @The Healthy Maven March 5, 2014, 9:29 am

I eat lunch ridiculously early! I don’t even eat breakfast early, I just get too excited for my next meal. Thank goodness for snacks to pull me through until dinner…

Also boys…I’ll never understand them!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 5, 2014, 10:00 am

I am always excited for the next meal but lunch rarely excites me because it is the one meal I don’t truly love.Unless of course it is Red Mango.

• lindsay March 5, 2014, 9:49 am

I have 2 3-year-old boys and they would have reacted the same way your son did (probably with a little more whining thrown in) if I made pancakes instead of the eggs even though they had for pancakes in the first place. I figured this would stop in a few years, but I guess not 🙁

My breakfast and dinner I can eat early or late and it doesn’t bother me at all. But for some reason, I’m still very scheduled with my lunch (1:00 on the dot even though I’m actually starving before that). However, now that I have kids and they eat right after school at 12 everyday, I end picking at their food. So I’m actually eating 2 lunches I guess.

I like the chocolate PB2 in my oatmeal, otherwise I prefer the original.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 5, 2014, 9:58 am

Isn’t it funny how we all prefer the original? You would think the chocolate part would make it the winner! I very rarely make it until 1:00 pm for lunch! I recall the days of picking at my son’s lunch…Now I just pick at the leftover berries on his plate in the morning.

• Miss Polkadot March 5, 2014, 10:17 am

Early lunches used to cause me anxiety but I’m getting better with them knowing that waiting really makes no sense.
    I fully approve of your oatmeal fondness! My latest favourite fruit addition to oats are pears. They’re so amazing in my breakfast oat bran that I wonder why I didn’t try it earlier. Paired with cocoa, coconut and almond butter – perfection.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 6, 2014, 12:11 pm

Totally agree – no point in waiting for a specific meal time. I do much better when I eat according to hunger and most of the time, I eat on the early side for all meal – it totally works for me. Dinner super early works better for me than waiting until late. I hate going to bed with a totally full stomach!

• Mike @ FitFriend March 5, 2014, 4:25 pm

Hmm, interesting idea with cooking the blueberries in with the oatmeal! I’m going to have to try this for sure 🙂

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 6, 2014, 12:09 pm

Yes, definitely try it. Blueberries cooked into the oats is amazing. Just don’t pick them all out as it cooks like I do. lol

• Victoria March 30, 2014, 4:41 pm

love your attitude! really working on my intuitive eating at the moment and it’s inspirations like you that make me have faith in the process 🙂 and I’m always a fan of anyone who loves breakfast for lunch/dinner.dessert haha 😛

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 31, 2014, 10:58 am

I could live on breakfast foods most days for all of my meals. Keep up the good work and do your best to listen to your body. Nothing wrong with oatmeal at any time of the day if that is what you crave.

• Victoria April 1, 2014, 7:11 am

Oh wow me too, I could honestly eat cereal all day haha. Thank you for the encouragement!