Three Tip Tuesday – Learning From Mistakes

There is a very serious game of Monopoly going on in our house. So serious that we left it all set up and ready for the little boy’s next move.

unnamed (43)

If I want to be totally honest, I was too tired to enforce clean up of the game last night so I said we can continue playing today.

So. The new Keurig machine? Not my best friend just yet.

unnamed (44)

It really doesn’t work all that well or maybe I should reform this sentence to state that it’s coffee brewing has been sporadic at best. I am giving it a chance to warm up to me but there is a possibility that it may be heading back to the store.

Did I rush my decision to not trust my old Keurig?

People who know me know that I am a very trusting and loyal person. I never make a rash, abrupt decision nor do I hold much of a grudge, especially when it comes to the people (or things) that I truly care about.

However, one too many times I have been too trusting, too loyal and well, too caring to make the necessary moves and changes in my life at the appropriate times.

Funny how a Keurig machine can bring about this conversation.

I gave some thought to this yesterday morning as I ran (six miles if you were wondering. Some of those six were tough and then suddenly I didn’t want the run to end).

How often do you find yourself in repeat situations where you really should have learned your lesson the first time around?

thY58NQYBL

We experience many things in our lifetime and live to tell about it. But, how often can you say that what you experienced you have not only learned from to develop your intuition but kept in mind in order TO NOT find yourself repeating old and maybe not-so-good-for-you patterns?

thD365V44Z

Your intuition only works for you if you  have learned from your mistakes. Oprah taught me that.

Let’s talk today about three areas of our lives where we may be stuck in repeating patterns.

3tiptuesday

1. BINGE EATING/EVENING CRAVINGS:

When I first got married and lived with my then husband, he wanted me to buy a few cereals for the pantry, including but not limited to Peanut Butter Captain Crunch.

I told him no way. I couldn’t have cereal in the house. He looked at me as if I was insane. And probably told me straight out that I was in fact insane.

You see, back then I didn’t eat enough and certainly didn’t eat balanced when I did.

And when one doesn’t eat a decent balanced diet with enough calories, they get crazy hungry in the evening and eat whatever they crave. And then some.

For me, back then, my downfall was cereal (and m&m’s).  If I opened the box (or bag) I couldn’t be responsible for what occurred next.

thEF50H11Y

And after every cereal attack, I tried the next day to not let it happen again.

My way of making up for it was taking it out on my meals by trying to eat “healthy” which translated into “still-not-enough-calories-or-balanced”.

I was still hungry and craving things in the evening because I still wasn’t eating enough during the day.

It was much easier for me to not have cereal in the house yet is that a way to live? Especially when you live with someone else? Is keeping the cereal out of the house the way to solve and learn from the problem or simply masking it?

If you are still super hungry in the evening beyond a normal, random craving, you are probably not eating enough during the day.

Food is fuel, let’s all remember that. Ignoring true hunger will not help you. It may seem to work for a few hours, or even a few days, but at some point, appetite and cravings kick in and take over.

At some point back then I got a hold on this concept and dealt with it and applied it to my life.

There are still plenty of nights where I am hungry. When it happens, I often make another meal. Another dinner, another snack or if chocolate calls my name, I answer with handfuls of chocolate chips.

But, if it happens on a regular basis, I know it is my body telling me I am not eating enough during the day and I have learned to listen and make the appropriate adjustments during the day.

2. RELATIONSHIPS:

If you are single, married, divorced or somewhere in between, how many times have you found yourself dating the same type of not-good-for-you type of person, fighting the same fight, tolerating the same scenario, ignoring your feelings for the sake of someone else, accepting something you don’t really wish to accept?

We can even throw under this topic our business and career relationships as well as relationships with our friends.

Why haven’t we learned from previous experiences?

thYEZ2UYV5

We can watch for the signs, make note of them in our heads but sometimes our hearts get in the way and we don’t want to listen to reason.

We may be afraid to speak up for ourselves, afraid to rock the boat or are simply afraid to make a change.

Regardless of the relationship, we cannot change others; we can only change our reaction to others and our reaction to situations.

Relationships are a tricky thing yet I am pretty confident in thinking and saying almost all of us have been in repeat situations with no one to blame for that but ourselves.

Something to think about, yes?

3.OVERTRAINING:

Bad runs happen. Sometimes there is no explanation to offer; they are just a part of life.

However, several bad runs in a row may be caused by something you are doing or shall I say not doing – like taking a rest day.

I can sit and blame my sneakers, my diet, my mood, my legs or the rain (if I am feeling all Milli Vanilli)…

th (2)

I can write a whole post about how suddenly my runs just plain stink, question why I can’t sleep all that well and wish I had a personal masseuse in my closet for my legs that keep aching.

I can do all of that wasted thinking in place of simply realizing what I already have come to know – OVERTRAINING. REST DAY NEEDED.

I know this yet sometimes ignore it. I push myself to run through it even though I need a rest day.

Running and running and running isn’t going to suddenly make the next run better. Rest is necessary. Cross training is necessary.

When will I learn to remember this? Hmm. Today. Today I will remember that I ran six miles yesterday and although  I am not due for a rest day, I am due for a cross training day.

As for the Keurig machine, was I too abrupt to say goodbye? I don’t know. I am trying not to repeat old patterns in keeping things around longer than they deserve and the Keurig machine became my target practice.

*************

I NEED TO KNOW:

Can you pinpoint areas in your life where you are currently repeating old not-good-for-you patterns?

What is your craving/nighttime downfall? It’s funny, I never really looked at cereal again after that time in my life. Now I go straight for dark chocolate chips.

Last time you played Monopoly?

• Davida @The Healthy Maven January 14, 2014, 7:54 am

Overtraining was unfortunately a bad habit I kept repeating. I’m determined this year to not let that be a problem for me so I’ve drastically reduced my exercise and only workout when I’m craving it. Feeling much better and injuries are FINALLY starting to heal!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 14, 2014, 9:58 am

Maybe all those naps on the workout bench help you too! lol I am sorry but I can’t get the image out of my head. You really made me laugh yesterday.

• Hayley@healthyregardsealthy January 14, 2014, 7:58 am

I absolutely love this post! As I am trying to figure out the blogging world and what to post this inspires me so much: not only are you sharing yourself, your daily life, being transperent and hitting deep topics your also forcing others to thing about their lives and how they can improve. love love love! This is what I hope to do with my blog.
    I also love it because I can relate to all three of your tips and experiences.
    1. I don’t keep cereal in my house. I used to do the same thing, it used to be my “dessert” that I would justify because I trained so much but once I starting eating it somehow I would keep filling my bowl up, add a little more milk, which then needs more cereal, then more milk, then cereal! Before I knew it I had eaten too much, felt sick and bad about myself. I am constantly trying to work on my relationship with food but its still a work in progress. Right now I am doing my best to really listen to the signals of my body, not multitask when I eat, love food, enjoy it but not use it as something to fill another emotion.
    2. relationships- ah yes, this weekend I was bummed all weekend because a boy I thought I liked and was making an effort to see, was not returning the effort. What I needed to realize was “hey! maybe he is just not that into you” and if I am making an effort with someone I should get effort in return. I have made this mistake plenty of times…. once again still learning!
    3. Learning to embrace rest is a struggle but something I am actively working on as well.
    Thanks again for this post (:

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 14, 2014, 10:02 am

I am so glad I inspired you today…As for relationships and that boy, guaranteed when you stop making all of the effort he will notice and if he truly cares, he will be on your door step (or at least make some attempt to see you). In any case, if he shows up or not, you will feel better about yourself just knowing you didn’t give someone your full attention when as you say, you weren’t getting the same in return….I wonder why cereal seems to be everyone’s downfall?

• Ashley @ Kick Ash Mom January 14, 2014, 8:01 am

Monopoly is the longest game EVER. Haha. My favorite quote about relationships is, “We accept the love we believe we deserve.” It’s so true. I was the same way with cereal, snack cakes, and granola bars. Cereal was a big one though. I would eat and eat and eat. It was my “Trigger food” It was torcher for my then husband. I’m so glad that I’ve gotten better because with kids…. Let’s face it, cereal is quick and easy!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 14, 2014, 10:04 am

Monopoly was not what I had in mind when I said let’s play a board game – way too long but it was a good time. So true about the kids – cereal becomes a staple in the pantry among a lot of other snack foods. Good thing I got control of the “situation” before my son was born! Now I can keep anything in the house and never have an issue. I am quite proud of this actually! lol

• pickyrunner January 14, 2014, 9:00 am

Wow I needed to read this post today. I’m pretty sure my legs probably have to do with overtraining to some degree as does my exhaustion. This week I’m learning the hard way, not being able to run with no access to gym classes that I love. I always try to remember these times when I am tempted to run when I don’t feel like it. I always forget that rest is just as important as the workout itself. And yes to the binging thing. It’s something I struggle with from time to time and it always happens as a result of restricting what I’m eating early on. Even just adding in a snack I don’t think i want makes all the difference In the world. So now I’m going to relax and enjoy my morning, eat my bagel, and read blogs until I decide IF, not when, I feel like swimming laps later. If I do, it will be because I want a nice circle tan on my back 😉

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 14, 2014, 10:05 am

Is there hot chocolate involved this morning down in Florida or is it too hot? I say swim later, simply because it is warm enough to swim outside and get a tan.

• pickyrunner January 14, 2014, 12:23 pm

I got my swim in but sadly no hot chocolate since there aren’t any gas stations in the gated community. No car= no way to get hot chocolate 🙁

• Mike @TheIronYou January 14, 2014, 9:56 am

Exercise overload is just as much a problem as not exercising at all, I’ve learned it the hard way over the years.
    It is in fact well documented that doing a load of exercise can easily do more harm than good. If regular exercise is a vital part of a healthy lifestyle, taking it to the extreme may cause severe health issues.
    In my case overtraining results in delayed recovery time. Over time I’ve found out that doing yoga for runners (you know, those classes that focus on stretching the muscles overused in running) helps, a lot.
    Have you ever tried it?

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 14, 2014, 10:06 am

I really should revisit the yoga thing again. I went once or twice in my life but don’t make it a part of my routine. I really should though from all of things people rave about regarding the benefits.

• jumpeatrun January 14, 2014, 12:25 pm

My mom has that same keurig and I have problems with it every time I visit! haha.
    Love your tips – especially #1 – so true!

• Kaitlin January 14, 2014, 2:57 pm

Ah the cravings. That’s a very interesting point and I think it’s been happening with me and my daily eats – not enough during the day then relying on the sweets stored in my freezer. Oops. Definitely going to do better at planning 🙂 Goodness, it’s been ages since I played monopoly! We play when we are at the mountains but my dad is such a sore winner (he always wins) that I don’t really like playing.

• Marina @ Lazy for Diet January 15, 2014, 2:11 pm

Ou, your first council just for me. There are so many products which I don’t store the house: crackers, muesli, dried fruits, jam… Big list! Sometimes I add there nuts or fruit – because if I buy more, than it is necessary to me for couple of days, I will eat ALL package. Sometimes it really occurs because of hunger, but sometimes it because of a stress or concern. I try to cope with it, but it is really difficult!

• Those who quest for personal mastery would develop patience
    and see life objectively.